No picture, but the cutest story!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by shelleyd2008, Aug 30, 2009.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I have a young 'group' of birds that I finally took out of the brooder a few weeks ago. This flock consists of 3 guinea keets and 3 chicks, one of which is a silkie. They lived in our small (abandoned) coop for a week or so, then I decided to let them free range. Of course, the guineas decided they wanted to roost in the barn with the rest of the birds, and decided that the quail room was the place to be. This is where all the mamas with chicks end up, on top of the cages in the quail room. So the guineas and 2 of the chickens moved into the barn, and the poor little silkie was left all alone, going back to the coop.

A few days went by, and apparently the silkie has figured out where everyone else is going, and now wants to roost on top of the cages too. Only problem is, silkies can't fly very well, so it is impossible for the baby to get up there. It 'flies' from the floor on top of a cooler used for feed, then onto the open dresser drawer (one of our 'nests') where Bertha the broody cochin lives. Not a good place to be. So I have since been catching the little thing and putting it up on top of the cages too.

The first week or so, I had to chase the chick to catch it, but now, when I go out to check water and gather quail eggs, this chick seeks me out, just waiting to go to bed! In the process of putting the chick on top of the cages, the guineas and other chick (lost one to a dog [​IMG]) leave, which makes it easier for the silkie to be on the bottom of the pile, where anyone that has silkies KNOWS they love to be!!

I have very few birds that actually want me to touch them, so this one that seeks me out and makes no fuss about being picked up tugs at the heart strings [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Awwww [​IMG]

3. thewarriorchild

thewarriorchild Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Ringwood area, NJ
    aawwww..... We have our first chickens that comes when called and sits on our shoulder. It is scary and exciting. Right now she is in a dog crate in the house and only allowed out when we are out.

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

That is such a sweet little story! [​IMG] thanks for sharing.

5. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    Aww silkies are so sweet aren't they!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by