No poop and lethargic.

BarneyNCyndi

Songster
9 Years
Aug 9, 2014
Everett, wa
Our girl is an astrolorp(sp) and was lethargic and sleeping when we came home from work. We brought her in the house fed her some eggs and made her drink some water with minerals. Now, I have not seen any poop but some pee. Her abdomen is feels soft like our other girls. We can’t get her to wakeup but she is breathing. We know she is going to pass and we are keeping her warm with a chick light to keep her comfortable. We verified our water was clean, food not moldy and our girls get fresh veggies and mealworms daily. Does anyone have any idea what could have happened?

I have noticed a little white bug crawling near her eye. We spread DE in our coop and where our girls bath in sandy areas. I am going to dust them all today with DE. Too cold for chicken baths with water.

A whitish bug would be a louse. They don't suck blood. Is her crop hard or soft. Does it empty? Sometimes there's things you can't control. Chickens frequently show symptoms when it's probably too late. I would watch the others carefully for any behavior changes and watch their poop and make sure they're eating. If someone seems out of sorts and not moving a lot, just standing by itself, I would treat them all for cocci (Corid).

A whitish bug would be a louse. They don't suck blood. Is her crop hard or soft. Does it empty? Sometimes there's things you can't control. Chickens frequently show symptoms when it's probably too late. I would watch the others carefully for any behavior changes and watch their poop and make sure they're eating. If someone seems out of sorts and not moving a lot, just standing by itself, I would treat them all for cocci (Corid).

I will change out water with corid solution. Crop was soft and empty. Will the DE bath get rid of the louse. Literally the bug was the size of a comma. I decided bysides a dustbath today everyone is getting a drop of oregano oil. Then a yogurt/tofu/oatmeal/mealworm treat. Its a favorite.

I will change out water with corid solution. Crop was soft and empty. Will the DE bath get rid of the louse. Literally the bug was the size of a comma. I decided bysides a dustbath today everyone is getting a drop of oregano oil. Then a yogurt/tofu/oatmeal/mealworm treat. Its a favorite.

it sounds like lice infestation, which can cause anemia if I remember right, you need to dust all of the chickens and clean and use the sevin on the coop, those things will get in the walls and everywhere DE won't help with a bad infestation.

@Eggcessive any other ideas

Our girl is an astrolorp(sp) and was lethargic and sleeping when we came home from work. We brought her in the house fed her some eggs and made her drink some water with minerals. Now, I have not seen any poop but some pee. Her abdomen is feels soft like our other girls. We can’t get her to wakeup but she is breathing.

I have noticed a little white bug crawling near her eye. We spread DE in our coop and where our girls bath in sandy areas. I am going to dust them all today with DE.
I'm sorry about your hen :hugs
How old is she?
Can you post some photos of her poop and of her?

If you are seeing lice, mites or other bugs on her, it would be better to use a Permethrin based poultry spray or dust to treat those than DE. DE may be fine as a preventative/additive to your dust bathing areas, it will not knock out an active infestation.

You mention you have not seen poop - just pee? Is the poop watery, white urates, etc?
When did your hen last lay an egg?

it sounds like lice infestation, which can cause anemia if I remember right, you need to dust all of the chickens and clean and use the sevin on the coop, those things will get in the walls and everywhere DE won't help with a bad infestation.

@Eggcessive any other ideas

Slordaz, I think lice just eat dander. I think it's mites that can cause anemia because they suck blood. They may be there but not seen. I use Sevin, too. Good idea about powdering the coop and walls!

Is sevin dust ok to put on chickens? We lost another chicken a RIR. She was so weak she couldn’t walk. She was very flaccid. I believe found her too late. Crop was soft she pooped and pee. Poop was brown runny I noted she had a bit of white crusty butt.

Good! Favorite treats I think increase the appetite. DE is a good preventative. Not so good with lice already there. I like the poultry dust or Sevin dust. But that's me.
How often do you repeat the dust? I live north of Seattle and the rains are here. I can bring them inside two at a time for a sink bath the dry. I have 2 coops to separate treated and untreated. I only have 4 girls left.

Is sevin dust ok to put on chickens? We lost another chicken a RIR. She was so weak she couldn’t walk. She was very flaccid. I believe found her too late. Crop was soft she pooped and pee. Poop was brown runny I noted she had a bit of white crusty butt.

How often do you repeat the dust? I live north of Seattle and the rains are here. I can bring them inside two at a time for a sink bath the dry. I have 2 coops to separate treated and untreated. I only have 4 girls left.
I'm sorry that you lost another one:hugs

You can use a Permethrin based poultry spray or dust to treat your girls. Sevin can be used as well if that's what you have.
How old are your hens?
Do they lay eggs consistently?
It would be a very good idea to get a fecal float to see if worms are causing some problems within your flock as well. Some vets can do that for you or contact your state lab (link below). If you happen to lose another one, sending the body for testing will give you some answers.
https://waddl.vetmed.wsu.edu/avian

Back
Top Bottom