No power for 6 hours..Day 22 for quail, day 10 for chickens

Jessika

Songster
11 Years
May 31, 2008
Eagle Creek, OR
Our power was out while I was away from the home.....I came back and kiddo said it was out for over 6 hours! (I had one home sick from school today) It was just the breaker....so I flipped it and we are now back in business.

I have 3 bators running...one was unaffected because it was in my bedroom (different circuit) but 2 were down most of the day.

1st is my hatcher (hova-bator 1602) has quail eggs (bob white) and they are due on Friday. It was down to low 70's F when I saw it. Will this effect their hatch?? It is just now in the low 90's (hours later).

2nd one is a LG 9200 (?? think that is right model....still air with a turner) with eggs on day 10.

What will this do to them?

I wouldn't think it would affect them too badly. It takes the eggs longer to cool off than it does the air temp. I would think the quail would be fine, since they are more or less done developing. At most, it might cause a delayed hatch.

As for the chicken eggs, I'm not so sure. I would candle them in a day or so, and see how the veins and movement is, but I don't think there is anything to worry about, There are many posts on this site, about ppl losing power for hours, and still having good hatch rates..

Don't stress over it too much. Good luck!

Get the temp back up and hope for the best,..

after all,.. that is all you can do.

They may be delayed slightly but some should hatch.

Hi, your hatch may be a bit late. I had 3 eggs under my silkie, I moved her, and she abandoned the eggs. They were there overnight uncovered. They hatched 2 days ago. I would wait a few days, then candle them.

thank you guys.....I feel better at least after venting and hearing some advice. I'm not a big mean egg killer, but that is sure what I felt like.

I have been watching them like a hawk...and nothing happens to the bators. Then I go out for a few errands and something goes wrong. I better never leave the house again! HAhahaha

It will be fine,.. you should get some chicks..

I am the same way with them,.. you would think I am their father or something...lol

I had three turken eggs in a bator w/ automatic turner....came home and the bator was no longer plugged in but turner was (around day 14 if I remember correctly). Inside temp of bator was 70! and the eggs felt cold to touch. I was sick...but plugged them back in and left them alone. Two of the three made it, one hatched a day late though and he was small and only made it three days. I have no idea if that was related to the cold shock or not. Good luck with yours!
Jaime

Im going to give everyone a laugh. My electric went out for 12 hours and after waiting two hours got so nervous I gathered the eggs got in my bed and I tucked the under my belly. Im not crazy much. But all the eggs but one hatched so it worked. Hope everything goes well.

Back
Top Bottom