No shell and no eggs

I'm not a pro, but I've heard they can stop laying for a lot of different reasons, feed, illness, molting, and stress. My understanding is that stress can come in a lot of different forms, like changes in their routine, food, or weather.

I have 3 laying hens right now, 1 is laying normally every day, and the other two have either not laid an egg or laid a soft shell egg (2) for the past few days. The last week we've had 100 degree weather and are putting 4 teen chicks in with them (separated by fencing) to slowly integrate them. I've been checking their vents, no swelling, discoloration, or wounds that I can see, and everyone is eating, drinking, and acting normally otherwise.

Maybe they're stressed (yours & mine)?
thanks for that.
I think it’s most likely down to the drastic change in routine, of finally being allowed to roam for the last 2 weekends after 7 months locked down.
It could also be that they’ve eaten some chives or garlic shoots whilst in the garden, as I’ve just read they’re toxic to the birds. I’ll keep a much closer eye on them whenever they’re out again.
I hope yours start laying hard eggs soon👍🏻

You don't want chickens to have comfrey, it's medicinal to humans but toxic for chickens.
thanks for that, but you’re the only person I’ve found claiming that comfrey is toxic to chickens. All other sources online claim it’s a fantastic supplement. Toxic if eaten by humans though…

thanks for that.
I think it’s most likely down to the drastic change in routine, of finally being allowed to roam for the last 2 weekends after 7 months locked down.
It could also be that they’ve eaten some chives or garlic shoots whilst in the garden, as I’ve just read they’re toxic to the birds. I’ll keep a much closer eye on them whenever they’re out again.
I hope yours start laying hard eggs soon👍🏻
All of mine are back to laying again, PHEW!:celebrate
How are yours doing? Any progress?

All of mine are back to laying again, PHEW!:celebrate
How are yours doing? Any progress?
I was initially mistaken, and only one stopped laying. She’s now recovering and her eggs are getting stronger. Not a fully formed shell yet, but getting there.
I’m convinced it was down to eating garlic stems and chives while out foraging. Live and learn…
Glad yours are back to normal.

Back
Top Bottom