No Shell at all or just membrane???

4henssake

Hatching
8 Years
May 21, 2011
Help! I have a Ameracauna, she's about 10 months old, we got her about 8 weeks ago. She has laid only 4 intact eggs since we have had her. The few eggs we have gotten from her are HUGE, almost double the size of our others. However, she mostly lays eggs with no shell, or just a membrane looking thing. They are always torn when we find them, the shell/membrane is almost leathery. Tonight we actually saw her "lay". We were just closing them in for the night, she was on the ramp up to the coop looking very uncomfortable. She really looked like she was in pain. A minute or so later, out came an egg with no shell or membrane, just white and a yolk. This was while she was standing, no squatting or sitting. It slithered down the ramp and she continued on up.

This has been going on almost daily for 2 months. She otherwise seems quite healthy, very active, good eater, very responsive. We have been supplementing with oyster shell... What else should we be doing? What is wrong with her? I can't get in touch with the person we got them from so I don't know if she ever laid before we got her, but I suspect she never did.

Thanks for any help!

Thanks for replying!

She has all of those things- i have stopped giving any scratch, although she wasn't getting much before. Do you think that it is just a calcium issue or something else?

She doesn't seem interested in the oyster shell...I like the idea of the scrambled shells and eggs! I will try that tomorrow. How often do you feed them that? We get so few eggs that I don't really have any extras, and it would sort of defeat the purpose if I had to do it very frequently.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom