No shell or thin shell egg (who did it?)

Lissy

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 19, 2014
Palmer, Alaska
Hello everyone,
I have 13 pullets that are starting to lay eggs. They were hatched April 20th. so they are 5 months (20 weeks). Three of my pullets have been laying for about three weeks but I noticed this week while I was cleaning under the roost, a no shell or thin shelled egg. This is the second one. Both eggs I found under the roost on the poop table. I know three of my hens are laying great with really thick shells with no problems. Here are my questions:

1.) How do you find out who is laying what egg? any tricks? (I need to find out who is laying the thin/no shell egg). I can't stay out there all day and watch!

2.) Is it a no shell or a thin shell egg? It was broken and I think that some of the pullets might have eaten some of it.

3.) could this just be because it is the first two eggs or should I try and fix the diet of my pullets?

I feed scratch and peck layer in a feeder and also feed fermented scratch and peck in the mornings. They all LOVE the fermented feed. I also just started to put out oyster shells last week.
Occasionally I will throw in greens from weeding my garden and also BOSS. They free range most of the day and all seem healthy and active.

Thanks

Hello everyone,
I have 13 pullets that are starting to lay eggs. They were hatched April 20th. so they are 5 months (20 weeks). Three of my pullets have been laying for about three weeks but I noticed this week while I was cleaning under the roost, a no shell or thin shelled egg. This is the second one. Both eggs I found under the roost on the poop table. I know three of my hens are laying great with really thick shells with no problems. Here are my questions:

1.) How do you find out who is laying what egg? any tricks? (I need to find out who is laying the thin/no shell egg). I can't stay out there all day and watch!

2.) Is it a no shell or a thin shell egg? It was broken and I think that some of the pullets might have eaten some of it.

3.) could this just be because it is the first two eggs or should I try and fix the diet of my pullets?

I feed scratch and peck layer in a feeder and also feed fermented scratch and peck in the mornings. They all LOVE the fermented feed. I also just started to put out oyster shells last week.
Occasionally I will throw in greens from weeding my garden and also BOSS. They free range most of the day and all seem healthy and active.

Thanks

2) It's a no shell egg.

3) Hens first eggs are normally like this.

Your scratch feed should be very limited.... No more than 10% of total diet since it's so low in protein.... About 8%.

Your layer feed is a complete feed nutritionally and any supplementation will skew the nutrition. I'd cut out everything else till all your eggs are good.

Back
Top Bottom