No swimming during the Molt?!?!

KARy408

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 18, 2014
Livermore, CA
So, my flock is currently deep into their molt. Earlier this week, one of our WH's got stuck in the pond and couldn't get out. My husband had to rescue her, and then spent a half hour warming her back up in a towel held against his chest. He was absolutely convinced the duck would have drowned, if he hadn't got to her in time. Then, today it happened again with one of our IR's!

What the heck?!

We're assuming this is happening because of their lack of feathers right now... At night, we lock the flock inside a long run, with access to their nesting boxes, egglu cube and a 5 foot deep pond that we dug into the ground this past spring. Should we drain the pond until my girls are all fully feathered again? In all my research, I have never heard of anything like this!

I know you love them and at the same time - the pond must be easy for them to get out of whether they are molting or not.

Right now we have a special needs duck who cannot float - so I built a brick ramp in case she gets into the swim pan, so she can walk out and not drown.

Last edited:
We do have a ramp in the pond. I've seen most of the ducks use it, though primarily for sun bathing and pruning. The preferred method of departure is more of a combo Fly/Jump maneuver... this must be where they're having problems now?

Silly ducks! Yes, molting ducks tend to soak up water and sink - and when they won't use the ramp, sheesh…. If yours are that determined to get themselves into trouble, I'd just set out some much more shallow buckets or something till the molting is done. Mercy.

Hog pans from TSC or the 3 gallon fortiflex pans from TSC make nice shallow bathing and play pans. They're only about one duck leg tall.

Could probably use a drip pan from shower if you need a larger circle. The metal ones look like giant round cake pans :).

Back
Top Bottom