No tail feathers on Cream Legbar Roo. Warning…VENT pics!

jklyles1

Songster
7 Years
Jan 21, 2013
Texas
This is my 3 mth old Cream Legbar Roo. When I got him he had no feathers around his vent. I thought maybe he had pasty butt and eventually they would grow back. He is still having issues back there…. What can I do? How do I treat this??? He needs a tail! Any advice is much appreciated!

I am sorry but he looks like he is rumpless. Rumpless birds don't grow tails. This is just my opinion. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Last edited:
He is from Papas Poultry in California.
Rumpless roosters pop up "once in a blue moon" in a lot of breeds. There are several pictures of them sprinkled around this site.

If you lived close to me I would give him a home !
Enola..I LOVE HIM! Rumpless and all!!!!

The Legbar long, long ago got it's lovely egg color from a Collonocas that was crossed with an unknown breed. The "Collonocas" laid blue eggs and were rumpless. This is the bird that later had ear tuffs breed into it and is now called the Araucana. So your bird is most likely missing it's tail for one of three reasons.

1. It was damaged during incubation and is a fluke.
2. It is expressing a recessive gene from the original Collonocas blood in the Legbar.
3. Someone at some point breed this strain of Legbars to an Araucana to improve egg color and again your Roo is expressing a recessive gene.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
The Legbar long, long ago got it's lovely egg color from a Collonocas that was crossed with an unknown breed. The "Collonocas" laid blue eggs and were rumpless. This is the bird that later had ear tuffs breed into it and is now called the Araucana. So your bird is most likely missing it's tail for one of three reasons.

1. It was damaged during incubation and is a fluke.
2. It is expressing a recessive gene from the original Collonocas blood in the Legbar.
3. Someone at some point breed this strain of Legbars to an Araucana to improve egg color and again your Roo is expressing a recessive gene.

Hope that helps!
Thank you!!! I hope its 2. or 3. Great info!

So is this BAD? What does it mean for breeding purposes?

It means that if it wasn't reason number 1 then a certain percentage of you chicks would carry this gene and some of them may also turn out rumpless. Others will have tails and look totally normal.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom