Nobody laying eggs?

Bellaterraonline

Chirping
May 19, 2022
Big island, Hawaii
This is my first time w/ chickens and I have 20 week old golden comet pullets who are probably close to laying. That being said, I recently added 1 year old black Australorpes, but they have not been laying since their arrival about a week ago. What is going on? They sleep in coop at night and free range during day. I prefer not to coop them during day just for eggs, my understanding is they lay in morning anyway. Any thoughts?

They're likely stressed from the move. Chickens loath change. I almost feel some of mine would rather be owl snacks than go in the new coop half the time
Would they be showing signs of stress? The Australorpes came in and took over the place! Eating nonstop and being courted by all the roosters, loving every second of it 😆 they were already coop trained and knew exactly what to do. I’m so confused. Do they make noise when laying? Could they be laying somewhere in the yard? Do hens lay only in morning or could it be anytime?

Attachments

• 69FAFB24-8A15-47A7-B97D-792EEF70E7C4.jpeg
    69FAFB24-8A15-47A7-B97D-792EEF70E7C4.jpeg
    699.6 KB · Views: 3
  • CED79FCE-CEDE-4BB0-9E1A-83B66B95000C.jpeg
    CED79FCE-CEDE-4BB0-9E1A-83B66B95000C.jpeg
    713.3 KB · Views: 3
They're likely stressed from the move. Chickens loath change. I almost feel some of mine would rather be owl snacks than go in the new coop half the time
So true! As soon as it’s dawn, they want out! Sometimes will leave door closed until 8am to encourage them to lay eggs in boxes before jetting out for the day, but alas- no luck so far! They just want out right meow!

They could definitely be laying out in the yard somewhere if they free range. I have seen it recommended to keep rehomed chickens penned up for a week until they know for sure where “home” is and where to lay before letting them roam.

It’s also possible depending on where you are that they are getting ready to molt for the winter.

Looks like you have three BA's. Are they molting? Especially this time of the year the molt is the main reason they are not laying. Do you see black feathers flying around? Stress from moving can sometimes cause them to stop laying for a bit but the stress from laying may have triggered a molt.

Hiding a nest is a real common cause for you to think they are not laying. Sounds like that could be going on.

Something could be eating the eggs. In Hawaii about the only critters that eat eggs without leaving evidence like broken eggshells or a wet spot are snakes, dogs, and humans. Snakes don't come every day, they eat some eggs then stay away a few days to digest them. Doesn't sound like a snake. Does a dog have access? A human doesn't necessarily mean a thief, some people think stuff like this makes for a good practical joke.

Hens tend to lay most eggs in the morning but they can and do lay any time of the day. Some of mine cackle when they lay an egg but several don't. You sure can't count on it.

My guess is that they are molting and won't lay again until the molt is over. But it could be about anything.

This is my first time w/ chickens and I have 20 week old golden comet pullets who are probably close to laying. That being said, I recently added 1 year old black Australorpes, but they have not been laying since their arrival about a week ago. What is going on? They sleep in coop at night and free range during day. I prefer not to coop them during day just for eggs, my understanding is they lay in morning anyway. Any thoughts?
Moving is tough on them

Back
Top Bottom