Nobody Survived!

I'm sorry for your loss. Our chicken coop run is fenced all the way around. I did see the largest bird (probably an osprey) I've ever seen in my life trying to get in there one day and fortunately he didn't make it in. I would be lost wihtout the sounds of my chickens. How sad!

So sorry. Wow, yu always think a wild animal takes what it needs (as far as eating) and leaves the rest? To kill the whole bunch sounds like a dog, but I knnow nothing. Did you have wire under the coop? We just put our up and if my neighbbor had not suggested it, I'm sure my girls would have been gone by now. I feel like the wild animals are so smart. I almost need to check on the coop before I let my 4 year old out side to maje sure she does nto stumble upon something as you did.

So sorry.

I left a live trap in my coop last night near the predator's point of entry. This morning I checked the trap and it was tripped, but nothing was inside! :mad: There are small gaps around the doors on the trap when closed that I'm sure a weasel could have wriggled through. I'm going to try again tonight but I'm not expecting much success. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to catch a weasel using something other than a live trap? I doubt my trap will be able to contain a weasel.

On the bright side, I had heretofore been unable to determine where the animal got in from the outside, as the tunnel it used is apparently fairly long. But due to a recent snow fall I was able to trace its tracks and determine the exact point of entry. I have a lean-to next to my coop that has a chicken wire wall. This serves as a place to separate chickens if need be and also to add an extra layer of protection between my coop's exterior wall and the outside world. The weasel (if that's what the animal was) pried a hole in the chicken wire wall and then burrowed down into the ground right next to the coop (from inside the lean-to). I had no idea weasels could be that intelligent.

Thank you all so much for your suggestions, help, and support. I really appreciate it!
smile.png

i had a back attack like that an what i did was get enough 2 by 4s anwelded wire.an nailed the wire to the 2 by 4s.then we put nails though the boards ever so often.to cut the varnitts feet as they tryed to dig in.we buried that 2 feet deep.nailing it to the bottom band board.an did that all the way around the henhouse.if you think yours is a mink or weasel id use hardwear cloth insted of welded wire.

Quote:
You should try a smaller live trap, if you think yours it too big. Look into trying a leg-hold trap as well. Weasels, minks, coons, and many other predators get wise to the traps, they are very intelligent. You may not be able to get the weasel back in the trap, if he got out once already.

I would try a leghold style. This actually latches onto the animal, and alot of people on this forum have had great success when using the legholds.
Especially when combined with a "tunnel". Let me go find the link and I will edit this post to include it.

-Kim

Back
Top Bottom