Nobody warned me...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by redbudlane, Jun 25, 2011.

1. redbudlane

redbudlane New Egg

Jan 23, 2011
    that incubating eggs was so addictive!!! This is my third batch this year, I have had very good luck with my hatches and I am simply in love with hatching baby peeps. Dh is a little worried about being overrun though.... [​IMG]

2. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Same here. Good hatch rates with my new Brinsea. I have also done 3, but I plan on selling most at swaps before the end of fall.
    It was a lot of fun, and thanks to the folks here on the forum, I have learned a lot!!!

3. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I'm very eager to hatch some eggs, too, and I've been lookin for an incubator. What kind do you use? Any advice before I buy one? Thanks!

4. MuskokaChick

MuskokaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    I wish I as warned...addictive???

holymoly!

I have eggs in the incubator at Day 11, and I am already collecting for the next batch...*sigh*

5. llrumsey

llrumsey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    3 brooders going, one incubator and looking for more eggs for the other incubator, I think we need AA or something, I hate winter because I cant hatch anything!

6. 1shotcleaner

1shotcleaner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    duke center pa 16729
    addictive is an understatement!!! i have 6 incubators and id fill all of them if i could find the eggs. 3years ago i had 3 1202's running at once and 3 trays hatching at once in one. and the other 2 had trays 1 week apart thats alot of peeps. thankfully my wife likes it too. soon you will be driving 3 hrs to get eggs and building bruder tanks and grow off pens it is a great addiction. have fun[​IMG]

7. Speck & Gerard

Speck & Gerard Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    my mother just bought us an incubator and we have our first batch in, i tried to tell her how addicting it would be but i don't think she quite understood, she's getting it now, and just all excited, we're going to end up with way too many i can already tell and the first batch has only been in for like 4 days lol:D

8. chicksntexas

chicksntexas Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Magnolia, TX
    [​IMG]

9. redbudlane

redbudlane New Egg

Jan 23, 2011
    I have a Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco with the auto turner. I just love this little incubator. Super easy to set up and doesn't take up much space at all. I just put a cheap little humidity gauge in it that we found at wally world.

My third hatch is pretty much done I think, 20 out of 24 eggs have hatched. I don't candle (haven't tried it yet) so I figure that is pretty good. My first hatch I got 14/15 and my second was 21/24.

Out of the first hatch 9 were roosters. I sold one and gave the rest to a friend who had helped out when I broke my ankle earlier this spring. I kept the 5 hens as replacement hens. The second batch I sold to another friend. I will be keeping this batch myself and butchering the roosters.

One of my PBR hens was discovered today in the ram barn on a nest, not sure how many eggs she has under her. I have one PBR hen and one brown leghorn hen sharing a nest in a garbage can in the big barn. Not sure how many eggs are under them either. I have a little red cochin rooster running around so most of those chicks will probably by crosses. [​IMG]

I really would recommend the Brinsea Octagon 20, one of my most favorite toys!

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I started out with an LG. I'm a hatch-a-holic!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by