Noise is driving me crazy! Ready to butcher

lomine

Crowing
8 Years
Aug 7, 2015
Peyton, CO
I am currently growing out my second batch of Coturnix quail. I have 39. They are just over six weeks. My females are doing great, no fighting and have started laying. My males are driving me crazy. They are fighting a little but the crowing is the big problem. They have been crowing for about a week but the last few nights they have been crowing between 1 and 3 in the morning. I don't like it and I definitely don't want to upset my neighbors.

After the first night I split them up so there are 22 quail split between 2 17+ sq ft cages. (The females are in a separate cage away from them.) It helped with fighting but not crowing. I thought it might be from the bright moon light, so the last two nights I have covered their cages so it is darker but they still crow. It's not as bad but there are still a few crowing loudly.

I'm thinking of butchering them early but they seem a bit small. I had one boink yesterday and I butchered him this morning. He seemed smaller than the ones I butchered before but not by that much. But it has also been a while. For those that have butchered, is there a huge difference between 6 weeks and 8 weeks?

I was thinking about trying to pull out just the ones that crowed a lot and butcher them. I know it's possible the less dominate will start crowing more after the others are removed. But is there a decent chance they won't start crowing right away? I'd just like to get more weight on them.

I would wait till 8 weeks if you can stand the noise. I think its worth the feed between 6 and 8 weeks but not between 8 and 10 weeks. I just butchered 5 rooster last week for myself and sold 50 8wk old roosters to a guy to butcher. Sure is a lot less noise around my house.

I went ahead and butchered all the ones that crowed in front of me. I missed one that crowed but I didn't see which it was. He didn't crow again so I left him. It was much better last night but he did crow. If it was just me I'd just close the window but I live in a residential neighborhood. I'm going to see if I can catch the last one. Hopefully the rest will stay quiet.

The boys allowed to be with the girls seem to crow less. My house is quite once we butchered the boys without girls... When we first separated them the boys that were left without girls crowed a lot at first then settled down but did crow....
We enjoy the crowing but have no neighbors to worry about... You might ask your neighbors if they mind the noise, could barter quail for the tolerance of noise for two weeks.... Good Luck

Haha yeah. Definitely paid off for them.

It's just one week and two days so I'm thinking I'll be okay to take the rest to 8 weeks.

I have 1 male and 5 fm my male doesnt really crow and when he does it really doesnt sound loud at all. So far i cant even tell hes there

My adult males for breeding don't crow much at all. Though they do sometimes answer the younger ones. But when you get a dozen young males all crowing at one time it can get loud and annoying. I'm hoping to move next year, to a place with more land away from neighbors. Then I'll be sure to grow out the males away from my windows.
lau.gif

I have 2 roos and 11 hens in a community pen. Before culling 4 males it was very loud all day and night. Now I can go days without hearing a crow.

54 eggs in lockdown, the noise will pick back up soon enough.

Back
Top Bottom