Noise level comparison. help?

I have blue swedish, both male and female. I have had over 50 in the past 6 years so I can definatly give you an "average" for the breed.

They can get up to about a 7 or 8. They only go this high when scared, upset, or wanting food from you. Usually, they are only about a 5.

On how much they quack, about a 3-4. They do a really low (2-3) peeping a lot when they are walking around together to communitcate. You can't hear it unless you are really close to them though.

can anyone tell me about the noise of a black eats indie, and your thoughts on runners...

(does anyone else notice a difference in fawn/white compared to the other colors?)

How about magpies?

I have a flock of Runners. As with all domestics, the males are quiet and the females are loud. I haven't noticed any difference based on color. I have white, fawn/white, penciled, and black.

I have also owned Welsh Harlequins, Pekins, Ancona, Saxony, Swedish, Cayuga, and Golden 300 Hybrids, all of whom were not noticeably different from my Runners. Loud females, quiet males.

I briefly owned some Mandarins that were completely quiet but crazy wild.
I had a pair of call ducks for a while and that female was as loud as any duck 5 times her size.

Currently I also have a flock of bantam ducks called Australian Spotted Ducks. They are bigger than calls, but smaller than BEIs. They are a good bit louder and more vocal than the other domestics. They are very talkative and friendly.

One of my favorite are Muscovy. All the Muscovy that I have had were quiet and friendly. They make a hissing noise that is not done aggressively like with geese. It is more of a greeting to people. They also make a tiny little trilling noise when happily greeting each other. Not something that you will often hear.

Chel

Chel,

Could you by chance put your duck breeds into the numbers from my first post?

(scale 1-10 on loudness, scale 1-10 on how often they quack), 10 being the loudest

Sorry Nettie, I really didnt notice any difference at all between the different domestic breeds (except for the Calls and bantams), but that could be because I have always had a large group of ducks and geese together.

Here is the best I can manage:

Calls and bantam Aussie Spots are a 9 on the loudness scale.
Domestic ducks all are about a 7 or 8
Muscovy are a 0 or 1
Geese are about a 10.

As for frequency, they only quack when someone is walking around in their area or something scares them, the rest of the time they are all pretty quiet.

if anyone else can fill in more breeds that'd be great!

Mallards?
cayugas?
Black east indies?
Silver Appleyards
mini appleyards
Magpies?
etc?

Quote:
I had a pair of mallards a couple of years ago, I can do that one.

Loudness - 4-5. The female wasn't stone silent, but she wasn't overly loud.

Ofteness of quack - 3-4. Only when something upset the flock.

I've had Campbells and Calls..

The male of the campbell is nearly silent unless they get separated (1) but he talks quietly a lot of the time (6). The girlies are quite loud (8) but they only talk if separated or if one of our hens lays an egg (4)!

The Call drake is a bit louder in his mumblings (3) but he talks nearly constantly (9). His girlies are the definite winners on volume (10), but again they only talk for a reason (4).

If you live in town I would get Campbells...they are easily tamed and not skiddish and they lay a lot of eggs which are yummy or you could hatch out for lots of duckies!

can anyone else compare their runners to other duck breeds? I want to see how loud everyone else thinks they are...

i'm really interested in bantam duck noise levels too... so is anyone has any, let me know!

When my Chocolate Runner hen quacks she is much louder than either my Welsh Harlequin or Khaki Campbell hens. None of them quack much more frequently than the other, they all have gone through individual phases when they quacked a little more for one reason or another. But usually they don't quack at all, usually just if they are unhappy about something. I have to admit that when my Runner is happy she makes a loud chuckling kind of noise, like when she finds food she likes or sees the hose running.
woot.gif
It's nowhere near as loud as anyone's quack though.

loudness frequency
Runner 9 4
Harlequin 5 4
Campbell 6 4

Back
Top Bottom