Noisy Angry chickens want to free range

How long have you kept them confined 24/7....
.....and not gone out to 'see' when they are fussing?

How old are these birds, in weeks or months?
How many birds do you have?
How big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help here.
I am not sure if this was for me but I'll answer because it would be great to figure out a solution!
The 8 girls were moved out to the coop at 8 weeks old and confined 24/7 during the acclimation period and teaching them that was their coop and safe spot to roost. First week inside coop (5' X 6') then 2 weeks in run (5' X 16'). I spread food and treats all over the coop(along with feeders full of food) for them to scratch around for if they were ever locked up but this no longer works. I opened up the fenced in area (additional 7' X 24') with larger dust bath area, lots of cover and shade and our leaf/compost pile to scratch around in. Totally content there for a bit. I've always allowed some full yard free ranging from 1 hr to most they day depending on us being home to watch.
They are now 6+ months and free range 90% of the time.
I have never not gone out to check on them when they are being loud, including jumping out of bed at 6:15 am, to try and quiet them. They are very loud with the egg laying song, squawking at each other when they want the same nest box and the one that bothers us and we would like to stop is the pacing and complaining to get out and free range which we have now given into just to keep them quiet. They also get loud when they see me coming, which was cute at first, but now just loud. We have a 6ft privacy fence and dog that is great at keeping critters out (except those damn cute yet destructive squirrels) so we feel they are safe from ground threats at least. I don't believe a hawk will swoop down when the 80# dog is out with them. I feel like I went off on a tangent, where was I?
Here are some pictures. The first two are the coop and run, the second two are inside the coop(the lamp was only used for acclimation week 1 and having a light to bring them inside to roost week 2. It is no longer used and unplugged. The third is the fenced in run and the last is the back door to the fenced in area that we are trying to figure out how to add an automatic door. Hubs built everything so he can also make the modifications needed.
If anyone has suggestions to quiet these girls down in the mornings I would be extremely grateful!!
Thank you!

Attachments

• 20200930_093234.jpg
    20200930_093234.jpg
    872.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200930_093251.jpg
    20200930_093251.jpg
    648.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200930_093352.jpg
    20200930_093352.jpg
    565.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200930_093404.jpg
    20200930_093404.jpg
    445.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200930_093459.jpg
    20200930_093459.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 20200930_093441.jpg
    20200930_093441.jpg
    792.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I am not sure if this was for me but I'll answer
Yes and Thanks!
Looks like pretty good space to me.
ETA...Actually, I just realized I was addressing the OP @Mikepbo
but is guess your situations are similar.

I feel like I went off on a tangent
Nah.... good information, concisely conveyed.

I have never not gone out to check on them including jumping out of bed at 6:15 to try and quite them.
This could be the problem, you are rewarding their noise with your presence.
Very hard habit to break.

That said, chickens can be very loud, even if used to being confined.
I had a group of pullets one year that were so loud at onset of lay I had to close my house windows so I could work over the phone.

because it would be great to figure out a solution!
Sorry, don't think there is an absolute solution....at least I don't have one.
The autodoor might really help tho.

Last edited:
Yes and Thanks!
Looks like pretty good space to me.

Awesome! Thanks! I am very proud of hubs for designing and building that coop himself😁

This could be the problem, you are rewarding their noise with your presence.
Very hard habit to break.

Yes, that was my guess. I noticed they got louder when hubs was home(he travels a lot) because he would let them out when they would get loud. I asked him to not do that until after 8 am earliest (which was my earliest time to let them out) to keep that routine. He was concerned over a few small noises at 7 am which have now turned into loud noises at 6:30 am🤦
I wondered if that is what did it.

Sorry, don't think there is an absolute solution....at least I don't have one.
The autodoor might really help tho.
[/QUOTE

I was hoping you wouldn't say this. Deep down I know they are just spoiled and it's a lot of rough mornings and hard work to break that.
My kids have always been jealous over how spoiled my pets are and they were weren't. 😂

That said, chickens can be very loud, even if used to being confined.
I had a group of pullets one year that were so loud at onset of lay I had to close my house windows so I could work over the phone.

Some individuals do seem to be louder than others. If one particular bird is making the noise, rehoming or butchering that bird can help reduce the problem.

For example, when the Partridge Chantecler was louder than the Production Red, and I rehomed the Chantecler, my yard was a bit quieter. (I do not think all birds of either breed would be the same amount loud or quiet, just that those particular ones were.)

Some individuals do seem to be louder than others. If one particular bird is making the noise, rehoming or butchering that bird can help reduce the problem.

For example, when the Partridge Chantecler was louder than the Production Red, and I rehomed the Chantecler, my yard was a bit quieter. (I do not think all birds of either breed would be the same amount loud or quiet, just that those particular ones were.)

We considered that. Our loudest obnoxious one is our best layer and lays double yolk eggs. The loudest layers are the sweetest ones and son's favorites. Of course. Lol
Culling/rehoming is definitely in the options though.

The hen you see in the nesting box is sitting on 12 eggs now. We will most likely be culling those roosters in January and rehoming or culling some hens at the same time. We'll see if she calms down before then. Lol

I made the mistake of letting my chickens free range out from the run for a couple of days. Now every morning they squawk loudly and I have to get up early to let them out. I’m not doing this 😩 Anyway to fix that problem? Much appreciated
I got an electric door from omelet. Pricy but worth it!

Attachments

• IMG_3610.jpeg
    IMG_3610.jpeg
    852.5 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom