Noisy chickens - help

webs66

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 11, 2008
Rhode Island
Can anyone tell me if its normal for hens to make a ridiculous amount of noise? We have 8 buff orpington hens and they make a crazy amount of noise. I think it has something to do with them laying because it seems like its louder in the morning to early afternoon. Is this normal for this breed? does anyone know of a breed that is quiet? By the way I don't know if it matters or not but we do not have a rooster. Thanks

We have 10 hens laying, 8 are BOs. They cackle like crazy when they lay which is mostly in the morning. When they get going then the others get going too. It's part of having chickens. We love it. It seems so down home and natural. I can go to sleep listening to it. They will cackle with or without a rooster.

Thats the way it is big bird, big egg, big happy noise.
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

Quote:
My babies are 9 weeks old today, but so far the quietest ones are the Golden Buffs... unless you pick them up... one of them is LOUD... We have some Black Austrolorpes that are pretty quiet, unless one of them gets jumped on by the others... We have some Red "mutts" that can cackle a lot...
I keep hearing that chickens make noise, so having them "undercover" probably is counterproductive if your neighbors are close?
idunno.gif

Quote:
Isn't that the truth?

And we have four different breeds and they are all noisy! But I love the sounds they make in the morning.

all the noise is driving my neighbors crazy, I'm worried that we may have to find them new homes. I'm thinking about cutting down from 8 to 4 and seeing if that helps.

guess our quietest chickens are the banties. have a couple of hamburgs, hardly know they are around. had a little black hen, she would just kinda sing(lost her this summer, but she was 12 yrs old). compared to the guieneas, any chicken is quietier

Quote:
I've heard it described as "bragging." Which made me think "Well, I guess they have a right to brag, don't they? After all, they just laid an egg! What does a dog have to brag about when it's barking?"
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom