Non Activated Oxine on used chicken coop

WARosie

Chirping
Aug 6, 2020
Hi there, I have clicked and read so much but not getting a clear measurement for how many ounces of NON Activated Oxine per gallon I should use to disinfect a used chicken coop. We have scrubbed it all down and it has dried. It has also not had chickens in it for about a year. I just want to give myself some piece of mind by disinfecting it but don't want to go to the extreme of using an activated solution which requires a respirator etc. Can anyone link me to a place that references Non activated use for disinfecting surfaces like chicken coops? I have tried so many places and it all just defaults to activated. Thank you!

Let me offer my thoughts. First, I have no knowledge of the chemical you are trying to use.
I have seen recommendations to use Vircon S to do the disinfecting of coops.
here is a copy and paste from Wiki.

Why is Virkon a good disinfectant?
Virkon is a multi-purpose disinfectant. ... Virkon has a wide spectrum of activity against viruses, some fungi, and bacteria. This includes at least 300 strains/clinical isolates from 76 bacteria, 47 strains/clinical isolates from 35 viruses and 45 strains/clinical isolates from 17 fungi.

It has directions on amount to use per quantity of water on containers.

I am personally OLD Skool, and I like using Common Laundry Bleach for my disinfecting projects. I do it in ventilated area, or outdoors. and do wear a mask. I avoid breathing the vapors.
My understanding is that Virkon is less volatile.

Considering your coop is already vacant for one year, I would be comfortable using it just scrubbed clean with soap.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Let me offer my thoughts. First, I have no knowledge of the chemical you are trying to use.
I have seen recommendations to use Vircon S to do the disinfecting of coops.
here is a copy and paste from Wiki.

Why is Virkon a good disinfectant?
Virkon is a multi-purpose disinfectant. ... Virkon has a wide spectrum of activity against viruses, some fungi, and bacteria. This includes at least 300 strains/clinical isolates from 76 bacteria, 47 strains/clinical isolates from 35 viruses and 45 strains/clinical isolates from 17 fungi.

It has directions on amount to use per quantity of water on containers.

I am personally OLD Skool, and I like using Common Laundry Bleach for my disinfecting projects. I do it in ventilated area, or outdoors. and do wear a mask. I avoid breathing the vapors.
My understanding is that Virkon is less volatile.

Considering your coop is already vacant for one year, I would be comfortable using it just scrubbed clean with soap.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome
Thank you! I already have the Oxine in my possession and I read on a blog that bleach can mix with the ammonia in a coop which then become toxic. So much info and so much is conflicting! I appreciate the feedback and will check into this product. :)

Back
Top Bottom