Non damage run size

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by southernfarmer, Apr 30, 2017.

1. southernfarmer

southernfarmer New Egg

Apr 30, 2017
    About how big of a run is required for each chicken so as to not have permanent damage to the grass? I have 4 bantams and 4 medium sized birds. Going to be putting 2 muscovies and 2 roeuns in there too. Duck. Will have this own pen though soon.

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! I would think the run would have to be very very large, or done in an 'intensive grazing" design, so sections of a large area have a chance to recover. Chickens and ducks may not be compatible in a confined space either. Mary

3. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    Yes Mary I agree,
    I don't think any size will allow you to always have grass, unless you rotate them and allow the grass to regrow .My hens rip up the grass faster then a bad golfer.. mud holes everywhere [​IMG][​IMG]

As far as ducks and chickens I'd say they are not compatible in a coop especially, maybe outside but don't ducks need a body of water?? My chicken breeder found out the hard way that chickens can't swim , she now has her ducks separate from the chickens inside and out .

4. Damon78

Damon78 New Egg

Mar 15, 2017
    Northern Indiana
    Thinking of pasteurizing my run to ensure grass is available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. southernfarmer

southernfarmer New Egg

Apr 30, 2017
    Chickens and ducks have been run mates all winter and it's only 5 feet by 23 feet in size. At night chickens go into the coop to roost, the roeuns sleep usually on the floor of the coop and the muscovies stay in the run. Muscovies don't swim, and roeuns don't have to swim as long as they have a head dunk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by