Non-Emergency: Bullied, Molt, or Disease based on head

BYChaymarket

Chirping
May 11, 2022
Los Angeles, CA
My Coop
My Coop
EDIT - Sorry all, I think this is simply molting and I failed to google it before posting. Not sure how to delete or close my post but a moderator is welcome to do so.

Hello all - I have not had an opportunity to view one of my Easter Egger chickens lately, partly because she never comes near me, but today I had the chance to feed them by hand and noticed her head looks very abnormal. After looking old photos, I confirmed that her head appears to have less feather and irritated skin. Photos are are attached from when she was 6 months old and today at approx 1.5 yrs old.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Easter Egger, unknown weight but appears as normal.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Normal.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Unknown
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Unknown
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Chick feed with free feed oyster shells (we have a rooster (Mille Fleur and sebright pullets, 5mos old)
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Unknown
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? None
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Myself
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. See attached.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. 4 hens, 1 silke frizzle, 1 Mille cockrel (bantam?), 1 sebright pullet. 3x4 ft coop, 3x12 ft run. Free ranged approx half the week. Fed chick feed with free oyster side.

Thank you!!

Edit - silkie photo with chicks added by accident but left because it’s always cute to see.

Attachments

• IMG_3087.png
    IMG_3087.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3083.jpeg
    IMG_3083.jpeg
    751.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3084.jpeg
    IMG_3084.jpeg
    828.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0458.png
    IMG_0458.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8794.jpeg
    IMG_8794.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Thank you! Sounds about right since I have never seen them molt and it’s finally starting to because fall here is Southern California.

You could give your birds a once over just to check for any issues if you’re particularly worried.

Part and check base of feathers behind neck, under wings, under vent and along keel bone for parasites like mites and lice.

Feel abdomen between vent and keel bone — squishy is good for laying hens. Excessively large, hard, taut or fluid-filled is bad.

Check vent and surrounding feathers for any crusty buildup.

Check breast muscles either side of keel bone. Keel bone should be palpable but not excessively pronounced.

Check leg scales for any dirt getting caught under scales or lifting of the scales (mites) and check the bottoms of the feet for wounds.

Check eyes are clear, nostrils aren’t gunky or snotty, no wounds on comb/earlobes/wattles. Gently pull down on wattles to peer inside the mouth and check for lesions or anything wrapped around the tongue. You can use your thumb to gently brush their ear feathers forward to look in the ear canal.

And always check crops are full at bedtime and empty in the morning. Sometimes they go off their food during moult. I usually make up a special dinner for any who are moulting and feel more empty at night — moistened chick feed, scrambled egg, tuna, that sort of thing to give them more protein.

Hope this helps you to get a better sense of your birds’ health and pre-empt any issues!

You could give your birds a once over just to check for any issues if you’re particularly worried.

Part and check base of feathers behind neck, under wings, under vent and along keel bone for parasites like mites and lice.

Feel abdomen between vent and keel bone — squishy is good for laying hens. Excessively large, hard, taut or fluid-filled is bad.

Check vent and surrounding feathers for any crusty buildup.

Check breast muscles either side of keel bone. Keel bone should be palpable but not excessively pronounced.

Check leg scales for any dirt getting caught under scales or lifting of the scales (mites) and check the bottoms of the feet for wounds.

Check eyes are clear, nostrils aren’t gunky or snotty, no wounds on comb/earlobes/wattles. Gently pull down on wattles to peer inside the mouth and check for lesions or anything wrapped around the tongue. You can use your thumb to gently brush their ear feathers forward to look in the ear canal.

And always check crops are full at bedtime and empty in the morning. Sometimes they go off their food during moult. I usually make up a special dinner for any who are moulting and feel more empty at night — moistened chick feed, scrambled egg, tuna, that sort of thing to give them more protein.

Hope this helps you to get a better sense of your birds’ health and pre-empt any issues!
Thank you for the detailed suggestions. I will definitely check her over following your list … just as soon as I look up the location of the keel bone relative to the vent :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom