[non-emergency] Marek's Homeopathic Treatment - Video

I find that Cranberry Gel Caps - formulated for human urinart tract infections wipe out all symptoms of Mareks within 24 hours or so. Just poke a single cap down the throat in the morning with an almond or dog kibble or two for a days worth of nutrition and a couple of grapes for water. For bad cases repeat in the evening. I've never had a bird refuse to get back on their feet even a bird in near complete paralysis. What are the mechanisms in place? No clue. I learned it in Japan. The Cultural Monument breeds are particularly susceptible to Mareks and Dr. Akishino learned that the two species of junglefowl most sensitive to Mareks in captivity ( Green and Ceylon) gorge on specific fruits in nature. He had the fruits analysed and determined that not only were the two fruits very similar in nutritional makeup - but also that cranberry seed oil extract had many of the same properties.
As a proactive measure, the Japanese melt extra virgin coconut butter over the champion Onagadori food every day and feed them shrimp shells and shrimp heads.

I think the crustacean parts are key because they become gelatinous in the crop where the caratonids that give crustaceans their vivid colour are released- and ingested into the blood shortly after.
The coconut butter oil must be unprocessed- and this has many properties -that you can research yourself on line but these are preventative measures.
If the flock already has been exposed you should put out canned cranberry sauce every few weeks with plenty of crushed red pepper mixed in.

Wow, that's very interesting. I had also given her a bit of chopped brazil nut yesterday which is in the same family as cranberrry. From Wikipedia:

The Brazil nut family is in the order Ericales, as are other well known plants such as: blueberries, cranberries, sapote, gutta-percha, tea, kiwi fruit, phlox, and persimmons.

Did you mean poke the capsule and give the contents down the throat? Or pop the whole capsule, which would be almost impossible since she's so small?

I do have raw organic extra virgin coconut oil and I also have crushed red pepper flakes as well as dried whole red peppers. What does the red pepper do?

At this point, I will try ANYTHING! Thanks for the info.​

RESOLUTION:

They did not have the cranberry gel-caps, only the powdered cranberry fruit capsules, 850 mg. I mixed it with carrot juice and gave it in a feeding syringe into her crop. Then I figured out that she would drink it on her own. I hope this will be the same as the gel caps. Should I be doing anything differently? Thanks!

Last edited:
QUESTION ABOUT MAREK'S PROGRESSION: Does anyone know at what point during the disease you can determine if it will be fatal? Mine has been showing symptoms for 14 days....It went from worse to better to slightly bad again, each time with slightly different manifestations. Do they stay "in limbo" indefinitely, or are there definitive signs of them getting better or going down-hill? I've read everything I could get my hands on (as my vet said...I read too much), and I can't really get a handle on how optimistic or pessimistic I should be, if this is the Neural form of Marek's. If she can still feed herself and walk, what are the chances that she'll recover or at least not go further downhill at 12 days in.

Any info would be much appreciated!!!
bow.gif
:

(edited for bad spelling!)

Last edited:
Well, the hen I probably overdosed at noon today (5 of the 6x pills) is still alive and maybe seems slightly better. She certainly has a good appetite. I just gave her another dose. I cut it down to 2 of the 6x pills disolved in 1 TBS of distilled water. I am anxious to check her in the morning.

I first noticed her not being able to walk on Wednesday night. She appeared fine up until then, as far as I know, so I am hopeful that I caught it early and started treatment soon enough. She has not laid an egg since at least Thursday morning. I don't know if Marek's causes them to stop laying or not. I've got my fingers crossed.

I hope your hen comes back around and doesn't get any worse.

FowlPlay, Good appetite is always a good sign. I gave mine cranberry too as mentioned. She still seems the same, but very hungry when it comes to mealworms and favorite treats!

Good luck to you and please keep us all posted. This has been such an informative thread (for ME at least!!!). I hope none of us ever have to USE this information again, but it does help to share our experiences and have moral support along the way!
hugs.gif

I watched your video, that is so odd what she is doing with her neck. Have you read this article?

http://extension.unh.edu/Agric/Docs/mareks.pdf

It is not very promising, but I thought I'd share since you were asking about prognosis info in this thread. Basically it seems to say that mortality is 100% at 10 weeks and that recovering from paralysis is somewhat common, but that the chicken will die from internal tumors later. I just wish I could figure out for sure if my hen definately had Marek's or not. She does have a cut of some sort which could be discribed as a lesion on her comb, but I'm not sure the other chickens didn't cause it when she was down in the coop. Does yours have any lesions?
19020_p1020897.jpg

19020_p1020895.jpg

FowlPlay, Thanks for the link. I read one that was almost verbatim, but missed the part about neural form recovery, then dying from tumors. This worries me even more, because two of the others had the exact same symptoms in December: Extreme weakness for two days, then recovered. I had given them antibiotics, so attributed the recovery to that. Probably misdiagnosed by my vet...He thought it was secondary bacterial infection brought on by cocci (even though he could find No cocci in the fecal samples!) Anyway, this is very worrisome! I pray I don't lose any of them, but the others that were sick seem perfectly healthy now. I'm so frustrated!!!
he.gif

Editing to delete most of my post since I am trying to be nicer and less opinionated this year, LOL. I will say that in my opinion, homeopathics are nonsense. I don't believe they do a thing and some posts that I see make me think that people do not even really understand what they even are. Seriously, research how they are made and all the evidence that they do nothing. An 8x homeopathic (one of the more common strengths) has been diluted 100 MILLION times (10 to the 8th power). Even arsenic is safe to drink at that level. The pills themselves are lactose and don't even contain the substance that is the purported medicinal. They are not at all the same as herbal medicines. It is a completely different thing.

Anyway, I will avoid saying more so as not to offend. Just do some research and you might be very surprised at what these "medicinals" really are.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom