Non emergency - sudden pale combs

Ajp23

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Oct 3, 2023
Morning from Dallas! My chickens have just gone through their harshest winter days with temps in the single digits and high winds, snow. They took cover in the coop for a few days and now we are in the high 40’s and they are enjoying some sunshine.

Four days ago, prior to the cold snap really setting in, they all had bright red combs. Today I’ve found that six of my seven laying hens have combs that looks like this. Very pale on top. They are otherwise spunky. Is this due to weather or something else?

Attachments

• IMG_6617.jpeg
    IMG_6617.jpeg
    909.2 KB · Views: 25
That looks like mild frostbite. You don’t need to do anything, it will get better on its own. To prevent it in future cold snaps, ensure adequate ventilation and block drafts.

Morning from Dallas! My chickens have just gone through their harshest winter days with temps in the single digits and high winds, snow. They took cover in the coop for a few days and now we are in the high 40’s and they are enjoying some sunshine.

Four days ago, prior to the cold snap really setting in, they all had bright red combs. Today I’ve found that six of my seven laying hens have combs that looks like this. Very pale on top. They are otherwise spunky. Is this due to weather or something else?
Poor girls!
It does look like minor frostbite, the tips of the combs may round off, but they should heal just fine.

I know most of Texas was scrambling trying to get ready for cold weather. Sometimes just having a few tarps stashed away so you can put them up for wind blocking can help.

Back
Top Bottom