Non-flighty Bantam Breeds

RaintoRoots

Chirping
Mar 7, 2019
Encinitas, California
I have silkies and am looking to expand my flock with a few bantam breeds and want to find out if anyone knows of any breeds that are not very flighty. The local breeder I'm buying from currently has many breeds available in different color variations, but I feel afraid and limited by the neighbors dog living in the next yard over because I like to let my chickens free range. Any info on the flighty-ness of these bantam breeds would be helpful! Bantam Ameraucana, D’Uccle, Seabright, Polish, Bantam Brahma

I also attached a link to the breeds available in case anyone is curious about the full list.
https://eastcountyzoo.com/Chicks-Bantam_c16.htm

I've had Cochins and Brahmas and they've both been sweet. Brahmas are one of my favorite breeds altogether, even now I only have large fowl.

Do keep in mind, the more flighty, likely the more predator resistant. I've gone to keeping my Seramas in a covered run. Before my breeding flock was a live hawk buffet. :barnie

Your breeder has a good selection though. Good luck with your choices!

I think sebright are quite a flighty breed so avoid those. Polish are absolute goof balls who can't see up because of their crests so you would be safe with those, although they can be bullied by non crested breeds so always get at least two together. Not sure about d'uccles, but brahma and Ameraucana are not known for being flighty at all.

Thank you all for your replies! From what I've gathered, it seems like there's always going to be a chance the bantams are going to fly out. I suppose I could trim their wings in an attempt to keep them in the yard when they're not in the coop. About how often do you all trim your bantam wings? Just curious, has anyone heard of hawks poaching silkies, or are they too big for them to fly away with?

Back
Top Bottom