Non GMO feed?

Mommy of 1

Chirping
7 Years
6 Years
Jun 4, 2014
I mix whole oat, wheat, oyster shell, and sunflower seeds. What else could I add to the mix that would keep them on their non GMO diet?

I buy non GMO hen food from the store..

Where do you buy? How much and how big of a bag? I buy 50lb bags of the stuff I already mix, it's lasted since March and I only spent about $40 altogether. So far I've spent about $10 a month and I still have half the bags left.

What is the protein content of your current mixture? And are you giving them any kind of vitamin supplement in addition?

I purchase my non-GMO feed from Hiland Naturals in Ohio. http://hilandnaturals.com/ I'm currently paying about $20 per 50 lb bag of grower (19% protein) right now. Once I switch to their non-soy feed, it will be about $30 per bag.

I honestly don't know the protein content. A lady that goes to my homeschool coop has been doing this for about 10 years and has nearly a hundred laying hens and that's the mixture she uses. I'm just trying to give them a little more variety. They don't always eat the oyster shell for whatever reason.

Yes, variety is always good to make sure they are getting a diversity of vitamins and minerals. There is something called the Pearson Square that you could search for...it helps figure the protein content of the feed you're making. Knowing that might help you know what would be some good additions. Most layer feeds are in the 16-17% protein range....I use a grower feed all the time because I prefer a little higher protein at 19%. Many people just give oyster shell on the side as the chickens will generally just take the appropriate amount for their individual calcium needs.

How old are you chickens?

We are a homeschool family as well!

Thanks for all the info! I love learning and look forward to learning all I can so I can have a happy healthy flock. They are all just a few months past a year.

I love meeting fellow homeschoolers! My daughter is 7 and I can't imagine sending her away to be influenced by government standards. Not to mention that would be so many hours of not seeing her , I'd go crazy! Lol. I count my blessings everyday :) How many kiddos do you have?

We have three kiddos...although they are quickly on their way to being adults! Our oldest is 17 and getting ready to start his senior year. He'll be taking dual enrollment courses at the local Christian university in addition to finishing work here at home. Our second son is 15 and our daughter is 14, so we'll have all high schoolers this year. The years have surely flown by since we started homeschooling our oldest way back in kindergarten! Couldn't imagine it any other way....I'm not even quite sure what I'll do with myself when they're all graduated in four years. :)

I look forward to "seeing you around" BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom