Non incubator incubation experiment.

Will it work? How many do you thinkwill hatch?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 20.0%

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Of course none of they will hatch, you're a doofus!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DeannaA

Songster
6 Years
Jul 8, 2013
Tuscaloosa, AL
I was asking a chicken guy about his experience with incubators. After many questions he told me about his friend that had collected eggs in an egg carton, set it down in his workshed and forgot to go back and get it. A few weeks later he went to hunt down a noise and found 12 chicks in the egg carton. This is a friend of a friend, so no idea if there is any embellishment in the story.

I am always wondering why we go to so much trouble when all a hen does is sit. I have always assumed we do this for better hatch rates than a hen might get. SInce hens can be in many different climates and types of weather and she does leave the nest to eat once in awhile, as well.

Being the chicken addict that I am, I bought too many eggs. I took 6 Guinea eggs (I've read they are the easiest to hatch), mixed breeds, to my shed. I started them at 2PM CST Today, 19Jul13. I am going to do my best to forget about them. Maybe candle at 7 & 14 days. These were shipped through the mail, so not in the best condition.

They have been weighed and candled before starting. Their air sacs were loose but I let them sit for 36 hours first. Since they will be small end down the entire incubation, I am hoping it won't mater. I am curious to see if all of the money I spent making and buying incubators was unnecessary. The winter will still justify the expense, so I won't feel so ridiculous. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

So, what do you think? Do you think they will hatch? How many, if any? Have you ever tried this or forgotten eggs anywhere to find them hatched later? I tried to find a thread, I might not have been using the right words, but I couldn't find one.

Let me know, thanks.

Well, I think its worth an experiment, to at least test the theory, but I really don't think that you will get anything, you know how stories go, what are the odd that the man would have a 100% hatch rate using that method...... and even the momma hens turn there eggs don't they?

That's exactly what I was thinking but instead of calling him on it, I thought I'd try it first. I had too many eggs and nobody wanted the extras, so what the heck.

I did yesterday and nothing. But I also candle some of the same batch that is in the incubator and not much there either. These eggs were shipped so I think I will get some healthy eggs locally and start again. I will leave them awhile longer, just in case.

Back
Top Bottom