Non infectious causes for honky/wheeze in throat, PLEASE HELP IF YOU HAVE ANY IDEA I HAVENT BEEN ABLE TO GET ANY REPLIES

Opiumbrella

Songster
Jul 30, 2021
I posted about my roo around a week ago. One min fine, the next was wheezy honk breathing. It seems to be coming from the throat, no rattling in the lungs. And ZERO other symptoms. Can’t see any gapeworms , eyes clear and bright, no runny nose, poop normal, energy normal, appetite normal, comb/wattles red, he just started being wheezy all of the sudden. I’ve had him on antibiotics for RI for several days and it isn’t seeming to stop it. No other chickens have symptoms. I had been cleaning the coop deep litter out, and wonder if it could be the dust? And what I should do, when I can un-isolate him, if I can/should treat for gape while on doxycycline, and any ideas anyone may have please.

As long as he's acting fine, I really wouldn't worry. Hpai would have killed him by now. But wyorp is one of the best people to ask.
That was my first concern but talked to someone at DFW who said that it’s doesn’t usually present in that manner. And then when a day or two went by I was lol ok, it would have spread and he would have passed away.
I just want to figure it out so he can breath normal. And so I can unisolate him if he isn’t contagious.

Is vet care possible?
It's almost a couple of weeks and the wheezing still persists? No better no worse?

Do you feel any air bubbles under the skin around any of his air sacs?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rooster-with-loud-wheezy-breathing.1525678/
No vets within 100 miles of me will see chickens. And the closest is an “exotic vet” in a rich community that charges INSANE prices and has a three month wait list.
He has no ruptured air sacs as far as I can tell. And it hasn’t been weeks. Just days. He has been on antibiotics for five days. And it hasn’t gotten any worse, but it does seem to fluctuate a bit. Especially when he is nervous. Like if I pick him up. But no major change.

Anyone have any ideas as to what this is? His breathing seems to be better today, so that’s good. But I really want to try and figure this out.

We have record pollen right now where I live, could this be something that effects chickens? Can they have allergies/Asthma and that type of thing?

Back
Top Bottom