Non-Leaking Nipples?

kimmypie

Songster
10 Years
Sep 1, 2010
Utah
I bought a bucket with nipples already in it from my local feed store, it drips. Not constantly but enough that the litter is damp under it. I also got some nipples from Amazon to make my own waterer...those leak too. So I'm a little gun shy of spending any more money on nipples but I love the idea of them for getting water to my ladies. Where is the best/cheapest place to order nipples? I only have 7 chicks so I probably only need 2 or 3 nipples. Also do you recommend screw in ones or push in ones?

I bought a bucket with nipples already in it from my local feed store, it drips. Not constantly but enough that the litter is damp under it. I also got some nipples from Amazon to make my own waterer...those leak too. So I'm a little gun shy of spending any more money on nipples but I love the idea of them for getting water to my ladies. Where is the best/cheapest place to order nipples? I only have 7 chicks so I probably only need 2 or 3 nipples. Also do you recommend screw in ones or push in ones?

That is weird that both sets of nipples leaked. Are they all installed vertically? If they are off of vertical at all they can leak. I have several nipple waterers and I've made many for friends and as far as I know, none have ever leaked. I bought most of my nipples from QC Supply. For ease of installation, I would recommend the push-in type . Install them vertically in a 11/32" hole and you shouldn't have any problems. I just ordered 10 and it came to less than $2 each with shipping. Good luck!

Okay I'll try to order from them and see if those are better. I'm a little gun shy, thank goodness we did a thick layer of exterior primer on the coop floor.

We got nipples from cconly on ebay and have had very good luck with them. They also come apart so if some little or food or something gets stuck inside you can clean them out.

I also ordered the push in style from QC. I have them temporarily in a gallon milk jug until my girls are in their coop and I build a auto water system. No problem here. Most important is drilling the right hole size and you could use a little silicone to help seal it good. Also it will leak if there is no air hole in your system, ex. I don't have the milk cap screwed on all the way. Also farmtek has them also.

I've had mine leak if they are screwed in too tight. I backed mine out about half a turn and it stopped. I guess it distorts the little ball valve inside.

Kimmiepie. I would def put some paint on the primered wood. Primer will allow water to absorb, accelerate it actually.

I've had mine leak if they are screwed in too tight. I backed mine out about half a turn and it stopped. I guess it distorts the little ball valve inside.

Kimmiepie. I would def put some paint on the primered wood. Primer will allow water to absorb, accelerate it actually.

Really? Exterior primer will allow the water to absorb? I thought it protected the wood. Well next time I clean out the coop I will put a coat of paint on the floor of the coop as well.

These buckets that have the nipples and the one that you made? Are they thin walled plastic or thick like you would find in a sturdy 5 gal. bucket? If they are flexible at all, they will tend to leak when it's hot out and they won't leak when it's cool. If you are going to use the nipples they need to be installed in a bucket or receptacle that does not flex or bend, something such as PVC plastic or a very sturdy bucket.

I have mine in a 5 gal. bucket from Lowes and some in an ice cream bucket and the ice cream bucket will leak directly from the nipple during hot or humid weather but seems to do just fine during cooler temps. The 5 gal. bucket never leaks. Both have the nipples installed correctly and have silicone caulk around the threads/fittings.

Back
Top Bottom