Non-lethargic diarrhea

WellingtonFarmette

In the Brooder
Nov 16, 2023
I have a small flock of 9 hens and 1 rooster. 2 of the hens have a lot of poop stuck in the feathers of their vent. I have read that it might be gleet, but they aren't showing any signs of lethargy and are still laying eggs.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) About 6 months old, one is a barnyard mix ("Brown Hen") the other is a Lavendar Orp
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Black poop stuck to vent feathers (for the Lavendar Orp hen); white poop stuck to the vent feathers of the Brown hen. Both birds are behaving normally.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? A couple of weeks
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? I do think some of the others have diarrhea, but none of them have it stuck to their vent feathers. This morning one of them pooped nearly completely liquid, light brown poop that smelled horrible.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I just added 4 younger pullets to the flock, but all of this was already going on when I added them.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Pellet feed from Rural King and water. Otherwise free range.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. I have noticed my rooster has some runny nose. Tonight one of the Lavender orpingtons was gasping when she got onto the roosting bar, but then stopped after a while, so I assume it was an obstruction. Occasional sneezing from rooster.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I soaked the brown hen in an epsom salt bath and applied an antifungal cream. The next day she had more runny poop on her bottom. I didn't do it to the Lavender Orp yet because I wanted to see if it helped the first bird.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Treat myself. Least expensive path possible.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Can I add a picture later?
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use: I use straw. I change it maybe 1x per week and I check for odor. If it smell strongly I sprinkle Sweet PDZ - Coop Refresher - Zeolite Odor Eliminator under the roosting bars or I change the straw out.

Welcome To BYC

Photos would be helpful.

Some hens can just have messier bums than others, especially those with a lot of fluff.
Keep the girls washed up and if you wish, you can trim some of the fluff to see if that helps to keep the poop from sticking in feathers.

Vent Gleet is a continual leakage of usually white pasty yeasty smelling material, so if you aren't seeing that, then it's unlikely you are dealing with vent gleet.

Back
Top Bottom