1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Non Medicated feed question?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MineAlways, Mar 1, 2012.

1. MineAlways

MineAlways Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2012
    SW PA
    The store only had non medicated feed when I went. I bought a 20lb bag of Dumore chick starter/grower
    I didnt want to get the little tiny bags they had (5lbs) and this was the only thing they had.
    So I guess my question is... how detrimental is it to get medicated. I only have 6 chicks. Not planning on getting anymore. There has never been poultry on my property. I am worried that they will get sick or something

My husband who years ago grew and raised birds (Parrots, Macaws and such) asurred me that it was okay and that the chicks would be fine on the unmedicated feed.

Thanks for any help

2. evenstargirl

evenstargirl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    I've read a lot of posts on this site from people who don't use medicated feed for chicks, so I don't think you need to be too worried.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

It is a personal preference. I currently use unmedicated organic chick starter and have no coccidiosis around. But in the past I have had a couple of batches of chicks get it. I have the medication in the cabinet, ready to go!

4. featheredroots

featheredroots Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Madisonville, KY
    We don't use medicated feed either. Instead we put ACV and garlic in their water, and a little DE in their food to help build their immune systems, and prevent worms.

5. Backyard Bantam

Backyard Bantam Out Of The Brooder

Yes, it is a personal preference, some people believe that the medicated chick feed gives the chick a "Healthy Jump Start", while others believe that the medicated chick feed is like replacing the immune system, and that will actually make them less immune to diseases later. I personally don't use it, but there have been some cases when they got the disease coccidioses (mentioned above) and the chicks just start dropping like flies, day after day. And it is a really sad thing to see. I still wonder if I had used medicated chick feed, if that still would've happened?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by