Non-skid surface for ramp

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Dec 8, 2011.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    We just built a door and ramp to drake house. But I am concerned the ramp is a bit steep and slippery for them to walk up. Especially in freezing weather. We used carpet remnants for ramp of hen house, but am wondering what others have used to make their ramps non-skid. Not sure the non-skip products from hardware store will work that well with ducky feet and this kind of an angle? Had considered nailing/stapling wooden strips to ramp, but not sure how far apart they should be? Any suggestions?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I use a scrap of plastic poultry fence. Doesn't rust or puncture feet, easily wrapped around the ramp and attached by screwing a piece of wood across the end to the underside of the ramp.

It naturally fills in with sawdust, woodchips, dried poo, etc., so it's cushy and no-skid.

3. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

I just use towels.. change them everyday if they freeze up. I actually have Duckie Laundry. I know I know. I make more work for myself.. oh this is a weeks worth of stuff... lol

[​IMG]

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I had duckie laundry when they were in the brooder! Still do, but it's just cleanup towels - much less.

5. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    I am going to pass on the duckie laundry, did that when they were in the brooder as well!~ [​IMG][​IMG]

6. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    what about shelf liner? indoor outdoor carpet?

7. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    How about a small piece of synthetic grass?? You may even be lucky enought to get yourself a small offcut from somewhere that does hardware or landscapping.

8. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    I used this sandpapery tape that is used on outdoor steps to keep people from slipping. Works great! Can get it in rolls at home depot or lowes.

9. fisharescary

fisharescary Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Use one of those non-skid safety mats people put in their tubs/showers?

10. Hunter0704

Hunter0704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2011
    Wentzville, MO
    You're lucky if your ducks use a ramp to get into a coop. My ducklings would never walk up it, or down it, which meant we had to catch them and carry them down into the run from the coop. That was okay for about three times and then we said...noooo way! So the ducks have nests under the raised coop with walls on three sides to protect them from the elements.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by