Non-Soy Feed Sources

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by enggass, Jun 25, 2010.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    2 Questions:

1. As a lot of us know Countryside Naturals sells an organic non-soy feed. We also know that while being reasonably priced, once you add in shipping the price almost doubles. A friend of mine and I are considering buying 300# and splitting it. Apparently when bought in bulk, they can ship by pallet(I think), anyhow, reducing the shipping cost overall. If I do this, what would be the best way to keep the feed fresh? I would have 150# - 6 birds - using about 50#/month. So I would need to keep it fresh for 3 months +/-.
    Is this possible and what would be the best way to keep fresh?

2. Do you know of any other source for soy-free feed. (besides making my own which can be very expensive as well)

Thanks all,
    Steve

2. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Steve, maybe you could buy an old deep freeze and store it in there. I know if it is sealed well and kept cool, it will keep a very long time. If you freeze it, it should be good for a few years. A chest type is pretty cheap used.

I have friends you sell refurbished chest freezers that don't run for feed storage, they are air tight when closed. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by