Noob in Maine

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cattaillady, Jun 18, 2017.

1. cattaillady

cattaillady Just Hatched

Jun 13, 2017
    Hi-

I've got 7 layers (well, at the moment, 5 good layers and two slackers), eight layers on their way up, 5 turkeys, and 4 meat birds being grown to live in the freezer.

I'm interested in as natural an approach as possible with the understanding that keeping them in a human environment is not going to be 100% natural. My big girls are being kept in a mobile coop that gets moved once a day (not often enough in their opinion), while the middle set of future layers are about to go on foreign exchange across the street to be tick patrol for a while. The youngest- the meat birds- will be going into a big stationary coop to prep ground for the winter garden and take care of kitchen scraps. I really need to work out a more efficient way to handle the different ages/lives, but I'm working it out!

I got my first chickens last spring, and I feel like I've been building new housing for them about every six months, since I can't seem to get it right- but it is leaving me with back-up housing for all the chicken math that's going on!

One thing I'm struggling with is finding soy-free feed. I tracked down my soy-free layer (Green Mountain) at Longhorns, but I can't find soy-free grower anywhere. I raised a couple of turkeys on regular organic grower last year and they were delicious, but if I'm working this hard at having soy-free eggs, the meat really ought to match. I'm currently devouring the fodder thread and I started my first tray this morning, but it's going to need at least some supplementing. Any ideas for a balanced feed that doesn't cost an arm, a leg, and my first born?

Tons of great info on here- and I can't wait to start asking questions!

amoarmstrong and Yorkshire Coop like this.
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

You might do some chatting with folks in your state thread on where you can find the feed you are looking for.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/maine.1370/

It can take a while to build a good coop. I really disliked the first coop we built. Even the chickens hated it. LOL However after hanging around here for a while and knowing more about about what my birds need, we were able to build the perfect coop. Have you stopped by our coops pages yet for some ideas? https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

Well, do make yourself at home here and if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Welcome to our roost! :)

drumstick diva and CTKen like this.
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links from TwoCrows already so I'll just say hello!

All the best

CT

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Have lived reading through your intro and TwoCrows has left you some great links to check out. I hope you can find the feed you would like.

Good luck and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    :welcome

6. cattaillady

cattaillady Just Hatched

Jun 13, 2017
    Thank you all for the welcome! I'll be checking out those threads, TwoCrows. I'm still slogging through the fodder one- there's just so much back information to catch up on!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by