Noob question regarding treats and grit...

MillCreekCoop

In the Brooder
5 Years
Greetings!
Let me first say that this site/app has been such a great resource for us as first time chicken owners!
I have read through this forum and found several answers to my questions, but I wanted to post my own thread and see what comes of it!
We have 5 white leghorn chicks...they are 2 weeks old, and doing great! They are eating starter feed via an automatic feeder in their brooder. We (my wife and two children) hold them outside of their brooder atleast once a day for a bonding/playtime period. We also allow them to free range outside whenever the weather allows. During these times, we feed them a few mealworms as a treat...they absolutely love them! We hand feed them the treats when we are inside, or allow them to "find" them outside when they are free ranging.
My question is concerning treats and grit...should mealworms require grit to digest? Are they too young to try other treats? In your opinions, should we provide a small amount of grit in their brooder each day, and if so, what are your suggestions for doing that?
I look forward to reading your responses!

We also allow them to free range outside whenever the weather allows. During these times, we feed them a few mealworms as a treat...they absolutely love them! We hand feed them the treats when we are inside, or allow them to "find" them outside when they are free ranging.
My question is concerning treats and grit...should mealworms require grit to digest? Are they too young to try other treats? In your opinions, should we provide a small amount of grit in their brooder each day, and if so, what are your suggestions for doing that?
I look forward to reading your responses!
That's a cute brooder.

Meal worms require grit to digest, when they free range outside if its on the grass they do get grit from the soil when inside you can just toss some grit in the brooder, they will scratch for it. if you are not feeding mealworms they will not require the grit and if they go outside daily they will get it from the soil. In my opinion as long as they get grit they can get other treats too.
That's my 2cents

I gave my first batch of chicks, last year, some small 'chick' grit. And this year I just gave my new chicks the big girls grit starting at a few weeks old. They are now 4 months old and did fine with regular grit. So I wouldn't get special chick size grit. I agree to toss some regular stuff in the brooder. They will find what they need. I also gave my chicks some small crickets in the brooder and that was so much fun to watch and they loved them.

Chicks need grit for anything but chick starter.

Also, I know this is not part of what you are asking, but you said you played, cuddled all of them daily. Once you find out which are Roosters, don't, DON'T, pay any attention to them! If they are in your way, move them, no cuddling, hand-feeding ect..

You want the Roos to know you are boss, or else, when they are older... They will try and get you with their spurs, and be mean. Roosters need to respect you, not vice versa, where they are the leader, you are top.

If you want something to cuddle, hens work great!

I
Chicks need grit for anything but chick starter.

Also, I know this is not part of what you are asking, but you said you played, cuddled all of them daily. Once you find out which are Roosters, don't, DON'T, pay any attention to them! If they are in your way, move them, no cuddling, hand-feeding ect..

You want the Roos to know you are boss, or else, when they are older... They will try and get you with their spurs, and be mean. Roosters need to respect you, not vice versa, where they are the leader, you are top.

If you want something to cuddle, hens work great!

I appreciate the advice, but we don't have Roos...they are all hens...

Back
Top Bottom