Nooo :( Silverwing

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by the Precious Ladies, Sep 10, 2010.

1. the Precious Ladies

the Precious Ladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Maryland
    THis morinin I woke up at 6 to go get ready for school when I heard a chicken swaking LOUDLY and so I went down to check. On my right their lie silverwing, My sliver wyanadotte, broken and torn. I wanted to cry but I needed to cheack on the others. Tweetie was the one swaking, running around and hiding. I got her and went to the coop where I found the 4 other chickens. The door was ajar. I felt so happy they were okay but so angry and grief filled about silverwing:hit They weren't just chickens to me, you know? Their like my babies, (I'm only 14) and pets I really love. I know I shoudn't be so fragile but...... I watched her grow up and found her personaltity to. She was The top of the pecking order, and I can tell the other chickens are alittle lost. When I went down their tonight to check on them, they even left her usual spot open for her [​IMG] I didn't help that I found out 15 min. before my bus came. My best friends wern't supportive either. One made jokes about how we could eat her now and how shes just a chicken, get over it. And the other one just ignored me.

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] Sorry [​IMG]

3. Kate in CT

Kate in CT Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2009
    So sorry . . .for your loss and for your friends' lack of sympathy. Pets come in all shapes and sizes-and we love them no matter what they are.

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Clearly, you loved that bird as you would any pet. It must have been a tough day for you. I'm sure he'll be sorely missed. I'm sorry for your loss.

5. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I'm so sorry for your loss. Friends, even old friends like mine, don't understand all the care and love we put into our "babies". Like you said, they think, "they're just chickens". Don't get mad at your friends, they just don't "get it". Try to improve on your coop/pen, maybe put out a trap for the predator, and do the best you can to protect your "babies". You are in a great place where there are people that understand and sympathize what you are feeling. [​IMG]

6. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    So sorry for your loss and the thoughtless comments. I know what you mean about watching them grow and seeing a personality.Many of the chicks we took in were renamed according to their personality,or something we noticed about them....pluckers,poopy face,broken toe,no name(now jumper). I would be sad if we lost any of them too.Still sad over our 13 week old roo dying weeks ago.Hugs.

7. cindy99

cindy99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    [​IMG] sorry

8. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    She was not "just a chicken", we understand that she was a friend and a family member. It's terrible to lose one and take pity on your friends that don't understand what it is to love something that much. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by