Nope!

I have a question on humidity. I have a Brinsea Oct 20. When I close the vent all the way and fill the water compartments, the highest I can get the humidity is 48%. I only have 8 eggs in it. How do I get the humidity to go higher for lockdown?

Quote:
I put a few slices of chemical free sponge in the water reservoirs. Helped wick up water and increase surface area, which meant more water evaporated and raised humidity. Cloth can be a good wick too.

Quote:
For lockdown, I fill the water compartments up, then place a shammie type cloth (got 'em at Trader Joe's) on the floor, set the basket of eggs on top of that, then put the lid back on. Typically the window fogs up a little bit around the edges and I call that good. Since it is hard to breath with high heat and high humidity, I do leave the vent as open as it goes, but that's me. If the eggs are pipping and there is no window fogging, I'll run hot water through a straw onto the cloth, which quickly brings the humidity up.
The nice part of using the cloth on the floor, is how easy clean up is. Just pick it up, shake it out and run it through the washer.

So I have had one piped for countless hours. I helped a few hours ago and he/she started to bleed just a little so I put him/her back in. Still nothing so I tried to help again. I just dont think this one is going to make it. Just doesnt seem to have the ability or strength to get out even with all my help. Plus my very first one hatched is very, very sleepy and has been sleeping in the brooder all day long. So Im worried.

Quote:
it seems most of the ones that i have had to help are very tired and i end up helping them out completely, which usually takes several hours because i chip away at the shell then let the chick rest for about an hour then chip away some more, ect. ,ect. when they finally are free of the shell they rest for a long time usually overnight then are moving around some but seems to me they take a couple of days to get their strength back. i try and give them vitamin drops which helps a lot as well.

Quote:
If there is bleeding when you tried to help, the little one definitely needs more time to absorb yolk and dry up the peripheral blood vessels. Hopefully the iddy makes it.

Quote:
If there is bleeding when you tried to help, the little one definitely needs more time to absorb yolk and dry up the peripheral blood vessels. Hopefully the iddy makes it.

He came out just fine. The blood was very, very minimal and I stopped chipping away the shell and put him back. After a few more hours of no improvement or zipping I helped again and this time there was no blood and I had to take most the top off because his neck was so bent. He is running all over the brooder now. The one before him isnt looking so good though. I am waiting for them to dry some more before taking them to the brooder. They dont seem to dry very well in the Brinsea.

Candled last night! There are 20 developing well, with one more that looks like it is developing, but isn't quite right (maybe my inexperience) and 4 that look clear. I'll recheck the ones that look clear on the 10th just to be sure. Of the 13 shipped eggs 9 look good.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom