Normal behavior?

Tld421

Chirping
May 23, 2023
I have a flock of 6 chicks that are about 8 weeks old, unfortunately we had to rehome one who was a rooster.
We picked up a new pullet today who is about 12 weeks old and my flock could not be bothered by her and so far the introduction seems to be going well.

I am noticing however the new bird will just lay down and hide in a corner of the pen. She was super flightly and scared of our dog when we put her outside in the pen, but has sense seemed to relax a bit other then the hiding. Is this normal for new flock introductions?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    765.9 KB · Views: 171
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Introducing 1 bird to a flock is difficult on the new bird, it's always better to Introduce more than 1. She will probably be a target from all the original flock with aggression. It's best to Introduce them slowly from a cage or fenced off area for a couple weeks so they get to know and see each other but not touch each other. Flocks have a pecking order and don't take kindly to new members. So she is probably scared. I would give her her own space within the flock, make sure she is eating, drinking and not sick. In a couple weeks you can mix her in. Aggression may not be too much of a thing since your original flock is younger.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Introducing 1 bird to a flock is difficult on the new bird, it's always better to Introduce more than 1. She will probably be a target from all the original flock with aggression. It's best to Introduce them slowly from a cage or fenced off area for a couple weeks so they get to know and see each other but not touch each other. Flocks have a pecking order and don't take kindly to new members. So she is probably scared. I would give her her own space within the flock, make sure she is eating, drinking and not sick. In a couple weeks you can mix her in. Aggression may not be too much of a thing since your original flock is younger.
So even though my current birds are ignoring her she may still become a target later on?
My current birds are due to go out to the coop this week so will continue to slowly introduce them and keep in separated indoor pens and watch the new birds health before sending them out together. Thank you.

So even though my current birds are ignoring her she may still become a target later on?
My current birds are due to go out to the coop this week so will continue to slowly introduce them and keep in separated indoor pens and watch the new birds health before sending them out together. Thank you.
It's hard to say. If you put your younger flock out in a new place, they are probably ignoring her right now. They could get more aggressive later so watch for it. However you should probably separate her for a while just to make sure she isn't sick, make sure she is eating, drinking, poop looks OK. She really shouldn't be hiding if she isn't being attacked by the others.

Welcome to BYC!
Introducing a single bird is never recommended, but if no bullying is seen so far then you might not have to worry about it. Moving is pretty stressful for birds so it may take her a few weeks to be fully comfortable in her new life and be acknowledged as part of the flock.

Did you quarantine her at all to make sure she wasn't sick? The laying down and hiding sounds a bit concerning to me.

Welcome to BYC!
Introducing a single bird is never recommended, but if no bullying is seen so far then you might not have to worry about it. Moving is pretty stressful for birds so it may take her a few weeks to be fully comfortable in her new life and be acknowledged as part of the flock.

Did you quarantine her at all to make sure she wasn't sick? The laying down and hiding sounds a bit concerning to me.
I did not, hindsight I should have. I got her from a local owner who was raising her for her own flock.

I am going to pull her now and put her in a separate brooder box I have.

I have a flock of 6 chicks that are about 8 weeks old, unfortunately we had to rehome one who was a rooster.
We picked up a new pullet today who is about 12 weeks old and my flock could not be bothered by her and so far the introduction seems to be going well.

I am noticing however the new bird will just lay down and hide in a corner of the pen. She was super flightly and scared of our dog when we put her outside in the pen, but has sense seemed to relax a bit other then the hiding. Is this normal for new flock introductions?

Welcome to BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom