Normal Brooding behavior?

BackyardBantams

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 26, 2011
Raleigh
So I believe my RIR bantam has gone broody. She's been my most consistent layer since we got her (4 months ago) but 6 days ago she went to the nest and hasn't left since. I assume she's eating and drinking since she's still alive. I guess she's brooding.

But that's not my question. She's become like, hyper-aggressive since going 'broody'. When I open the coop to collect eggs she starts this high pitched, low volume, but extremely menacing growl. When I try to touch her she bites me, which she NEVER does. She also hasn't layed since she went to nest. In addition, I think she's driving the other hens out of their roosting spot, which is in the coop. I found my other BR bantam, who has ALWAYS slept inside the coop with the RIR, outside with the more wild chickens tonight.

Is the aggression normal for broody hens? Is she just chicken PMSing?

Vicious creatures these broody are!
lol.png

Put an ice pack on the nest. That'll cool her disposition. In a few days, she ought to be back to normal...
It worked on our broody buffy.

yes this is normal behavior for a broody hen but i know how cold it has been getting cold because i live in raleigh too. so i would say not to let her continue with the clutch and make the nesting area REALLY uncomfortable so she will move, after that she shouldnt come back to that spot. if it continues then just keep making it uncomfortable lol
gig.gif

i had a broody hen in summer and she never bit me but always puffed up her feathers and screeched at me until i left lol she had 6 eggs and only one hatch and sadly died one day later (R.I.P. baby Luna) so yeah, just take them away and let her brood in spring or summer time if you want lol good luck!!!!
<3 kelsey

Back
Top Bottom