Derekh93

Chirping
May 24, 2018
She laid her first egg this morning and seems to be pooping like this a lot

Attachments

• E2DB8048-EEA3-4C82-A6BE-73299DBC8137.jpeg
    E2DB8048-EEA3-4C82-A6BE-73299DBC8137.jpeg
    950.7 KB · Views: 20
She is on grower feed about to be switched over to laying, and she ranges when she can, and has the occasional whole corn from time to time for the colder months, she is 19 weeks old never seen poop like it, no odor

Congratulations!
When wondering if poop is normal the diet is often to blame . She needs to be on 100% layer with grit and oyster shell offered ... no treats for a few weeks , see if her poop firms up .

Our girls get watery poop from too much watermelon....

Good luck

Congratulations!
When wondering if poop is normal the diet is often to blame . She needs to be on 100% layer with grit and oyster shell offered ... no treats for a few weeks , see if her poop firms up .

Our girls get watery poop from too much watermelon....

Good luck
Yep, watermelon will do it lol.

Dont give her whole corn at all. Stop the grower feed and feed her layer feed only.
New to the chicken world, she’s the only one with this problem out of 6 hens and it was a one time thing her poop was like this for maybe 4 hours, and from what I hear layer feed doesn’t start till she lays so I opened the bag up today, and how does a hand full of whole corn in the morning to 6 birds effect anything during the cold months I live in Massachusetts and from what I hear whole corn does no harm during the colder months, and the rest of the birds seem to be pooping and acting just fine

That bird may have drank a bunch of water for whatever reason causing them to be runny for a bit. Corn is very high carb and it's very easy to over feed it. They will eat that and not their feed, reducing their total protein intake. Long term it can cause health problems like fatty liver disease, or nutritional deficiencies. It should only be given occasionally in small amounts as a treat. Any time there is a change in droppings, diet should be one of the things considered. Some birds will have trouble with certain foods or feed ingredients, just like some people can have trouble with certain foods.
This article is very good at explaining what is good, or not, to feed and why.
https://hencam.com/faq/what-to-feed-your-chickens/

That bird may have drank a bunch of water for whatever reason causing them to be runny for a bit. Corn is very high carb and it's very easy to over feed it. They will eat that and not their feed, reducing their total protein intake. Long term it can cause health problems like fatty liver disease, or nutritional deficiencies. It should only be given occasionally in small amounts as a treat. Any time there is a change in droppings, diet should be one of the things considered. Some birds will have trouble with certain foods or feed ingredients, just like some people can have trouble with certain foods.
This article is very good at explaining what is good, or not, to feed and why.
https://hencam.com/faq/what-to-feed-your-chickens/
She just did this now I wanna say we are on the upside of things today, I would think she ate something that upset her free roaming

Attachments

• 1D53EEB6-A75E-4AF2-8B6D-E1A6B1A600A5.jpeg
    1D53EEB6-A75E-4AF2-8B6D-E1A6B1A600A5.jpeg
    1,005.5 KB · Views: 15
She just did this now I wanna say we are on the upside of things today, I would think she ate something that upset her free roaming
And she layed her second egg today no problems, I would say she definitely got something she prob shouldn’t have

Back
Top Bottom