Normal cochin feet or not normal?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CCCCCCCCHICKENS, Dec 5, 2012.

1. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The top picture is of my cochin bantam hen and the bottom picture is of her foot. i dont know if can see very well because picture is kind of blurry, but she has relly long toenails and my other cochin bantams is eve worse. I known that they should grind down when they walk around outside,but the thing is they dont they have never went outside they stay on this perch inside untill they decide they are hungry or thirsty. So i was wondering if i should clip them a little or just leave them alone. I known some judes frown apon excesivly long toenails so i didnt know what i should do.

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    It's a good idea to clip overgrown nails: makes the bird more comfortable. That bird's toenails won't hurt it in a show at all.

3. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

Either trim with dog nail clippers or grind down with a dremel tool. I prefer the dremel because I am afraid I'll take off too much. Go slow and have some blood stop powder in case you need it. Some of my chicken's claws stay short because they are out scratching enough, others it doesn't seem to help.

4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    where do you get a dremel tool?

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Dremel Tools are pretty expensive if all you want it for is to trim chickens nails. I use a small pair of wire cutters from the Dollar Store. They work fine for both nails & beaks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by