Normal Flock Size?

I've had five kinds, they are, from the most quiet to the loudest here's how I'd rank them.....
Plymouth Barred Rock (smart!)
Production Red (curious & brave but not too friendly to newly introduced birds)
Silver Wyandotte (a bit bossy) tied with Americauna (sweet but not the smartest thing out there)
White Leghorn (bold but high strung)
If quiet is critical, I'd go with PBR's

May I add that in addition to Plymouth Barred Rock, the Dominique is also a gentler quieter outgoing friendly dual purpose bird with all the heritage features of the PBR. In fact, the founding breed of PBR was the Dominique and then game bird was added to the breed history to make a bigger bird. The Doms are not as huge as the PBR so will be easier on the feed bill. These birds are talkers and conversationalists but not all-out squawkers. Great around humans and if you need it Doms will brood their own young. We've had PBRs and Doms and in the end preferred the heritage Doms.

Production Reds are nosy and curious and friendly to humans. Two of them accepted an adult White Leghorn in their coop - but then the Leghorn was a confident alpha type. The Legs are independent constant foragers, easy on the feed bill, intelligent as they can learn several simple voice and hand signals, stay in an established fenced area, lay a mountain of eggs well into their 4th and 5th years of production. Because of their huge floppy comb their vision is obstructed causing them to be more skittish. We decided to get a Buff Leghorn rather than another White or Brown Leg because the Buff Leg is calmer in temperament and has a smaller straight comb that only flops slightly. Prod Reds and Legs normally do not brood.

Never had a Wyandotte as I've read too many reviews on how unpredictable their temperaments are. My egg seller friend won't have them either so I've stayed away from them. Gorgeous eye candy though.

Ameraucanas (true Ameraucanas and not Easter Egger) are an interesting breed. They mature slowly. They are not known broodies. It takes them a while to get really comfortable in their surroundings. We thought our APA Ameraucana was the dumbest thing on the planet until she matured. She was the kookiest spookiest flock member and stayed clear of everything and everyone until she was certain about what and who was safe to be around. She is our most alert, prolific, foraging girl in the yard. She's not interested in flock politics, loves a crustacean diet along with sweet potatoes, turmeric, cranberries or cranraisins, quinoa and corn as her South American history denotes. This breed no matter how kooky or spooky she is growing up, will always be a sweet-natured bird. We socialized her indoors for a couple weeks and she is very trusting of us. She is a fantastic flyer but stays in the yard. She loves chasing away the stray cats out of the yard. She is not normally a broody breed so she's a prolific layer of LG to XL blue eggs. Our friend says her Ameraucana as well as her Easter Eggers are her sweetest, most talkative birds in her egg laying flock. She loves how nice they are to both humans and other birds. OurFlyBabies.com said they keep Ameraucanas because the breed readily accepts orphans and injured birds into their flock where other breeds may not be so willing. This was enough of a testament to us to invest in a true APA Ameraucana and we are so glad we did.

Love this discussion and what great info everyone is providing. We are what is going to be considered "urban" farming as we can only have 8 hens and no roosters.

I have a coop that is 6x 10 and a turn out yard for them about 20x20.
Right now I have 6. I really don;t need more. We give eggs away as it is.

I have a coop that is 6x 10 and a turn out yard for them about 20x20.
Right now I have 6. I really don;t need more. We give eggs away as it is.

Great! Your chickens are in 7th Heaven with that amount of room for 6. I LOVE it when owners provide lots of room for their girls!

Love this discussion and what great info everyone is providing. We are what is going to be considered "urban" farming as we can only have 8 hens and no roosters.

You are so lucky to have 8 hens. We're allowed only 5 and I hear some cities only allow 3 which is not really enough for a family of 4 people but we'll take what we can get. Some cities don't allow hens period yet they'll allow up to 4 all-night barking dogs in a yard - Go figure?

My flock size just increased by 27 with this hatch.............
hide.gif

I am just getting back into chickens, we had them 10 years ago. I have been reading A LOT,which I did not do the last time. Here is what I have learned......
Many people over think the whole thing. We kept our chickens in the barn at night, then when we were leaving to go to work in the morning we would open the barn door and they would come out. We would get home 10 hours later, and then at 6pm every night on the dot, the chickens would walk back to the barn and we would shut the barn door, we NEVER bought seed, they ate what they found on the ground, and we would throw down table scraps (if there were any)
And a clean bowl of water daily.
We ended up moving and the chickens went with the house.
Now I find myself looking for all natural seed, the best kind of bedding best fencing to use, and at the end of the day, I will still get the same great tasting eggs that I had with no fuss. Funny thing is I keep reading LOL

I am just getting back into chickens, we had them 10 years ago. I have been reading A LOT,which I did not do the last time. Here is what I have learned......
Many people over think the whole thing. We kept our chickens in the barn at night, then when we were leaving to go to work in the morning we would open the barn door and they would come out. We would get home 10 hours later, and then at 6pm every night on the dot, the chickens would walk back to the barn and we would shut the barn door, we NEVER bought seed, they ate what they found on the ground, and we would throw down table scraps (if there were any)
And a clean bowl of water daily.
We ended up moving and the chickens went with the house.
Now I find myself looking for all natural seed, the best kind of bedding best fencing to use, and at the end of the day, I will still get the same great tasting eggs that I had with no fuss. Funny thing is I keep reading LOL

Please don't feel you are overthinking having chickens again. They ARE a commitment whether one gets 2 chickens or 200 chickens. Can't go away for a weekend without someone checking in on them - at least I wouldn't go away at all. Even automated feeding/watering/chicken doors can go haywire while you're away and the chickens will be at the elements' mercy. Having a backup person to check on them isn't always reliable either. I heard one horror story of someone's backup person hanging the waterer so high that the show bird Silkie died because she couldn't reach the water. Just things like that really make you think. P.S.- as I sit writing this I'm watching a Sparrow collecting and selecting his favorite fluffy chicken feather for his mate's nest - sweet.

On the farm we were more casual with the chickens and ducks also. But there was never a time that we would be gone for more than overnight and usually if someone had to be gone for several days someone in our family stayed behind to watch the livestock and poultry. We had knowledgeable farmer relatives in the same area who would come over to tend the animals for us so hanging waterers too high for the animals to reach was not a concern for us. And they counted all the animals in the evening before locking them up. Farming neighbors always helped each other out and relatives especially were very reliable.

We only have 4 hens now at our city cottage. We practice not being gone to the point that we'd need someone to feed, water, and clean. We aren't party goers or vacationers. Our relaxation happens at home being entertained by our little flock. It's nice being retired LOL - We enjoy watching the flock so much outside the patio door and even the Hummingbirds fly down from their feeder to inspect the foraging chickens. Oops - here comes another Sparrow with a mouthful of feathers again!

I have 2 Sussex and 4 RIR and 4 golden sex links. and have a space of 30 times 30 with a run of the whole backyard adn they go every where in our yard. In the bnext month i will get rid of my RIR and golden sex links and will get 12 more plymouth barred rocks. i love the personality of a speckeled sussex and would recommend them to any one.

Back
Top Bottom