Normal One Minute, Convulsing Then Dead The Next?!

scratch'n'peck

Crowing
14 Years
Oct 31, 2008
West Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
17873_img_0494crop.jpg

My poor Seamus (blue cochin on the right) was crowing and vying for the best position to get a crumb of bread. He seemed just fine. Seamus hopped from his coop and walked around for a couple of minutes. Then all of a sudden he seemed to lose control. He stumbled a couple of feet into the side of the garage, and his head went down. The other roosters sensed his weakness immediately and associated the head down, rear up with mating. Two of them attempted to mount him, which I have NEVER seen them do before with each other. I ran over and picked him up before they could really get on top of him. When I put him in his coop right there, he was on his side convulsing, kicking wood shavings all over. I scooped him up right away, and his head seemed to be going limp. He made a kind of involuntary sound, its hard to describe, like a groan. Then he died in my arms. This all happened within a couple of minutes.

Has anyone ever witnessed something like this before?

I will miss Seamus. He had the deepest melodic crow. He had already cheated death once, when a wandering dog chased and bit him, but only got a mouthful of feathers before I slapped the dog back and rescued my roo.

When I got hold of my husband on the phone he wondered if we should put them on antibiotics just in case. I cleaned out the waterer for the bachelor roosters' coop already, but I don't really like giving them antibiotics unless I need to.

So sorry for your loss
sad.png
I don't know much but I would suspect something like a heart attack......... The groan is a normal sound before death, I have been around a few chicken deaths and that has happened every time. I would get some more advise before starting your flock on antibiotics. It may not be necessary and you really want it to work when it is necessary.

Possible heart failure..... I had a RIR hen that I loved. One day when she was about 4, she ran across the yard to be, dropped, convulsed and died in my arms before I could get her to the house..... she had looked fine all day. It happens, I am so sorry, he was very handsome.......

He was so pretty... Poor guy! I know I had a sick chicken before that seized before she died but she was deffinatley sick. Could have been heart attack or organ failure. I wouldn't medicate the rest of the flock unless they are showing symptoms of some sort.

Back
Top Bottom