North Carolina

I don't know that Howards, as my only egg bound hen (the golden lakenvelder) didn't live. I know there are some threads on here about egg bound, they might have the answer for you.

Hey folks... got a "stupid newbie" question for you.... Do different breeds have different poos? Some of my gals have solidly formed poos and some are looser. Not sure if this is a feed issue or a breed issue. :/ Maybe I should lay off the "treats" for a bit and see if it changes.

Also.... I'm wondering with the deep litter method - does it matter what kind of bedding you use? Like, can you use grass clippings for bedding? Right now I'm using pine shavings, but wondering if pine straw (my next door neighbor has a field of pine trees next to our property and has allowed me to collect all the straw I like) or grass clippings etc. would be fine too.

Hey folks... got a "stupid newbie" question for you.... Do different breeds have different poos?  Some of my gals have solidly formed poos and some are looser.  Not sure if this is a feed issue or a breed issue.  :/  Maybe I should lay off the "treats" for a bit and see if it changes. 

Also.... I'm wondering with the deep litter method - does it matter what kind of bedding you use?  Like, can you use grass clippings for bedding?  Right now I'm using pine shavings, but wondering if pine straw (my next door neighbor has a field of pine trees next to our property and has allowed me to collect all the straw I like) or grass clippings etc. would be fine too.
Some days my chickens have looser poops than others. I think it rely just depends on he different water intakes of each day. Its fine and I'm sure completely normal if my chickens do that too ;)

Good morning folks
frow.gif

It's another rip-roaring day ahead of us
I think this coming weekend I will need to
assess the flock and trim down the numbers
by a few........lots of young roos to relocate
and maybe some hens too..........hmmmmmm
will need to think it through
caf.gif

hope everyone has a good day
pop.gif

Hey folks... got a "stupid newbie" question for you.... Do different breeds have different poos? Some of my gals have solidly formed poos and some are looser. Not sure if this is a feed issue or a breed issue. :/ Maybe I should lay off the "treats" for a bit and see if it changes.

Also.... I'm wondering with the deep litter method - does it matter what kind of bedding you use? Like, can you use grass clippings for bedding? Right now I'm using pine shavings, but wondering if pine straw (my next door neighbor has a field of pine trees next to our property and has allowed me to collect all the straw I like) or grass clippings etc. would be fine too.
The good old POOP CHART:

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

Chickens will have wet poop. I have used pine straw in the winter before, they did the same that they do with hay or straw.

Hey folks... got a "stupid newbie" question for you.... Do different breeds have different poos?  Some of my gals have solidly formed poos and some are looser.  Not sure if this is a feed issue or a breed issue.  :/  Maybe I should lay off the "treats" for a bit and see if it changes. 

Also.... I'm wondering with the deep litter method - does it matter what kind of bedding you use?  Like, can you use grass clippings for bedding?  Right now I'm using pine shavings, but wondering if pine straw (my next door neighbor has a field of pine trees next to our property and has allowed me to collect all the straw I like) or grass clippings etc. would be fine too.

I have read to put a layer of pine straw then put shavings or regular straw on top and turn it throughout the winter and add more straw ect on top. I would be afraid that just the pine straw wouldn't soak up the moisture and might stay wet, but it is worth a try. You can always add shavings or straw later.

Good late morning everyone!! Sorry I haven't been on much. DH has been working some crazy long hours (70 hours last week alone) - which is great except the baby won't let him hold her or go near her!
sad.png
I've been trying to get our garden cleaned out for next year in between feedings & naps.
Freedom Rangers are still growing, waiting for the big processing day to come...although we still have 2 months. LOL. I'm hungry for some chicken!!
I am going to go to TSC today to pick up some much needed supplies...can't wait on DH anymore. This ought to be a fun and exciting adventure! My 2nd outing with all 3 by myself...lol
he.gif

Those of you downsizing...let me know...I *might* be able to be persuaded to take some off your hands.
wink.png
OOHH, on a duck note...we found their nest, but hubby took all the eggs (I told him to mark 2 and leave them so we'd know where they were laying) and now...they are laying elsewhere.
he.gif
They do seem to prefer to lay close to the house though, so that's a bonus. Also, my girls and Cadbury seem to have darkened considerably in color!! I didn't know that would happen, it was a nice surprise!

welcome-byc.gif
WELCOME to all the new folks!!

Good late morning everyone!! Sorry I haven't been on much. DH has been working some crazy long hours (70 hours last week alone) - which is great except the baby won't let him hold her or go near her!
sad.png
I've been trying to get our garden cleaned out for next year in between feedings & naps.
Freedom Rangers are still growing, waiting for the big processing day to come...although we still have 2 months. LOL. I'm hungry for some chicken!!
I am going to go to TSC today to pick up some much needed supplies...can't wait on DH anymore. This ought to be a fun and exciting adventure! My 2nd outing with all 3 by myself...lol
he.gif

Those of you downsizing...let me know...I *might* be able to be persuaded to take some off your hands.
wink.png
OOHH, on a duck note...we found their nest, but hubby took all the eggs (I told him to mark 2 and leave them so we'd know where they were laying) and now...they are laying elsewhere.
he.gif
They do seem to prefer to lay close to the house though, so that's a bonus. Also, my girls and Cadbury seem to have darkened considerably in color!! I didn't know that would happen, it was a nice surprise!

welcome-byc.gif
WELCOME to all the new folks!!
That just means that the darker feathers are new feathers and haven't sun bleached yet.

Back
Top Bottom