North Carolina

That would be great!  I had someone else lined up that is now unable to donate.  I am in Oak Ridge, looks like you are about 2 hours away though.

Message me and I can give you some eggs. We are next door in Stokesdale/Belews Creek. I just hatched some little d'uccles in my classroom and the kids have been fascinated by the whole process.

I am in Fayetteville, (Cedar Creek Actually, so just a short shot up 95 to exit 49) and would be happy to donate some olive/light green eggs, We have different shades of brown and white as well. We just put a new roo in the main coop yesterday, I would be happy to meet you at the McDonalds on exit 49. :) Let me know how many you need
Cheers,
Tiffany

Hi! I'm new here. I'm in rougemont. 30 acre farm and 9 chickens. The wife says the faster I build coops the faster we can increase our flock.

Hi! I'm new here. I'm in rougemont. 30 acre farm and 9 chickens. The wife says the faster I build coops the faster we can increase our flock.

Fast way to do coops here would be hoop coops. Made with cattle/hog/combo panels that are 16' long and different heights (52, 50 & 36" tall). I pay $20/combo panel @ TSC, use 2x4's from Lowes. Can use chicken wire or hardware cloth. Permanent with posts or tractor type with various board configurations. Several different styles shown here on BYC. Later, I will be putting a permanent roof on our hoop coops (3) - but for now and thru snow and ice, the tarps did very well for us.

Mine are about 8x8 w/ 2 combo panels. The blue bucket above can have the rear cut out and a cover put on the front. Then open the bucket and it's a tunnel door to allow them in/out. Right now, the chicks in this coop are locked in - I've had dogs get into the 7 acre pasture and kill our free ranging adult birds. The longer squared 2x4 will soon have 2 buckets for nests in it. We do the DLM type of litter - I pick up the pinestraw, leaves and some pony manure from the pastures, mown grass/weeds from around the house and give them any veggies that we don't look to eat (before they go bad) and all the pickings from the garden as well when the garden done. No need to compost separately (pony manure does get separately as we have plenty of it with 29 head).

We are changing the flat roofs here to the curved hoop coops - so that I can then walk in/out of these coops w/o bending over.

Charlotte here!
Where do I find the law on selling several dozen eggs a week from my home?
My girls are busy this spring!!

Welcome! NC egg laws can be found here:
http://www.ncagr.gov/fooddrug/food/egglaw.htm

Basically, you can sell ungraded/ unsized eggs from your home as long as you aren't selling more than 30dz/ week. Cartons should be labeled with your name, address, and the fact that the eggs are not sized or graded.

Welcome! NC egg laws can be found here:
http://www.ncagr.gov/fooddrug/food/egglaw.htm

Basically, you can sell ungraded/ unsized eggs from your home as long as you aren't selling more than 30dz/ week. Cartons should be labeled with your name, address, and the fact that the eggs are not sized or graded.
Yup. We sell a a couple of dozen a week to friends because we just can't eat that many eggs. We also sell a few chicks and chickens but stay well within the boundaries of a hobby and don't turn a profit. NC is fairly easy to have a hobby like this in.

Back
Top Bottom