North Carolina

yea my land borders the national forest so we have everything from hawks, owls, coyote, raccoon and even panthers! Probably best to coop them if i get guineas
I’ve kept mine cooped since i’ve had them. I had 14 but sold all but these three. I kept them in with my chickens to serve as alarms and I recently separated them because my chickens started free ranging and I don’t want to chase the guineas out of trees lol.

Is anyone’s interested in 3 barn cats? They’ve been outside their whole live so they’d make great farm cats. I would keep them but I already have 9 cats.2 girls and 1 boy they’ve been socialized they’ve also been around my free ranged chickens their whole lives too.
BC46F5FB-AD48-4CE7-B4B4-0619E96AC2D5.jpeg
AD87B973-7ED5-48AD-85E2-89D34F453B88.jpeg
BAED221D-DC90-4005-BF43-0252C726C88C.jpeg

As my flock approaches POL (expecting eggs during the holiday season), the person who was going to take two or three of them backed out and my house, which should have been ready in late August now looks more like late November.

Since we can't build a new chicken coop until the house is in place I need to downsize from the flock of 7. I've placed an ad for 2 of my girls here.

Though I will probably mail-order most of my chicks to expand the flock in the spring, I want to say that I am quite happy with these birds from Welp via Carolina Town and Country in Sanford. I lost one on the third day -- probably from delayed shipping stress (they arrived late at the store), but the others have been rampantly healthy and grown like feathered weeds.

I'm getting other family members to look through the chicken catalogs to see what chickens they find particularly appealing. My 15yo son apparently likes masses of fluffy feathers and shares my affinity for feathered feet because he's settled on wanting Cochin bantams.

Does anyone have any experience with how they do in the blistering, steamy summers of Central NC in the Sandhills?

Of course my chickens have shade, water, and electrolyes in hot weather, but if Cochin bantams would need extraordinary measures like fans and misters to keep them from keeling over he can be convinced to pick something else.

I'm getting other family members to look through the chicken catalogs to see what chickens they find particularly appealing. My 15yo son apparently likes masses of fluffy feathers and shares my affinity for feathered feet because he's settled on wanting Cochin bantams.

Does anyone have any experience with how they do in the blistering, steamy summers of Central NC in the Sandhills?

Of course my chickens have shade, water, and electrolyes in hot weather, but if Cochin bantams would need extraordinary measures like fans and misters to keep them from keeling over he can be convinced to pick something else.
Bantam Cochins are my favorite by far! I have frizzle and smooth. They do exactly as all the other birds do. If the Cochins are panting so are the d'Uccle, EE and Turkens. It does take the old English bantams and Seramas longer to get too the panting stage, but only because of their size.
Mine don't fare any worse for wear from the extra feathers. My ex-husband and I had Cochins in the coastal plain region of South Carolina (Darlington, Benettsville). They were fine. I have used my hose on mist before, this past summer. Every chicken seamed to like it.

I am in the same area and County as you are, I believe (Moore County/West End-Carthage area). I have 2 bantam cochins, one barred rooster and one cockerel like @tn_artist (her girl is the cutest thing EVER!) , a white frizzled that's 8 months old. Throughout this past sweltering summer, Carlos my Barred bantam cochin, free ranged during the days and did really well. He runs around and greets my clients as they drive up and then quickly back to check on the chickens. The one thing that I've found with both of my guys is that they don't do well in tight spaces. I nicknamed Carlos "the spawn of satan" as a cockerel and considered culling him, but I'm so glad that I didn't! Roody, the white frizzled bantam cochin was very similar, although not as bad. He is such a sweetheart now. I guess it could be the combination of those cockerel hormones and tight quarters, but they weren't nice at all. Now they're favorites! I wish you the best on your bantam cochin adventures!

Back
Top Bottom