North Carolina

Glad to meet you too MaryRuth. The piglet is adorable!

My kids want a pig.... NAaaaaa. Been there... done that. I am leaning towards goats.
tongue.png

Thanks! I have a pair of black pot-bellied pigs outside, already... but when I saw this little brown baby... I had to have her
celebrate.gif

I have a pair of pygmy goats, as well.... expecting a kid or two soon.
yesss.gif

Those of you who bake bread using a bread maker have you ever substituted wheat flour whether all purpose or W/W with any of these Millet flour, rice flour Quinoa or Amaranth flour? just wondering how well they would do instead of using wheat. Thanks...

Miss Lydia - I substitute various flours almost ALL the time in my bread machine recipes!! If you use Quinoa, Rice, Almond or Buckwheat flour (those are the ones I have used) do know that you will have a denser bread than traditional recipes yield. I tend to add a touch of Vital Wheat Gluten to the dough to help lighten it up a bit. Hope that helps!!

I HAVE A BROODY !!!
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

Ya know what that means..... yup she will get Orp eggs and I STILL don't have to turn on my big bator.
yesss.gif

And the best part..... she is in a coop with 3 other hens and they always go broody together.
bun.gif

Bhep: WOO HOO!!
wee.gif
When are you going to post photos of the fence you just put up so I can see if you will be able to come over and help us put ours up!! Hehe... We just ordered our seed packets - including some Oats (do you have a need for straw in the future??) so I am hoping my black thumb will be cured by the aid of our farmer neighbor since I can't seem to convince Vfem to do all the planting/gardening for me!! LOL. I wanted you to know, you have a HUGE big fluffy chicken...she has my name written all over it If you ever decide she is not in your top 5!!
lau.gif
I thought of you today because my girls FINALLY are starting to warm up to me...they followed me around the yard this morning and were waiting for a treat, talking to me the WHOLE time!!
love.gif
I think I may need another coop just for big fluffy butts who like to talk!!
big_smile.png

Thanks! I have a pair of black pot-bellied pigs outside, already... but when I saw this little brown baby... I had to have her
celebrate.gif

I have a pair of pygmy goats, as well.... expecting a kid or two soon.
yesss.gif

frow.gif
Hi and welcome!! I think your piggie is just ADORABLE!! DH wants pigs, but only because he thinks it would be great to have a pig roast!!
sickbyc.gif
I wish we could do goats but we are still researching dairy sheep instead of goats due to allergies. So sad because I hear goats are so much sweeter than sheep (and not as dumb!! LOL). Can't wait to see photos of your kids once they arrive!!

HT - CONGRATULATIONS on 4 kids!! I didn't know goats could have THAT many at once!! LOL. If you weren't so far away, I'd bring DD over and we'd help feed/water/care for the little ones to give you a break!! She is in love with all kinds of animals!! How about you send one Beth's way since she is closer, we can help Beth take care of it!!
lau.gif

sickbyc.gif
Off to do some deep cleaning, laundry, organizing and hopefully
fl.gif
some sewing all while making some fun new "experimental" bread and dinner!! Anyone want to spare their cleaning fairy for a few days??
gig.gif

ETA: Edited just to change colors...HEHE

Last edited:
vfem: Once in a while I see them on craigslist..I bought a couple of new ones for chick brooders-not the huge oblong ones, but the medium round ones. I think I paid $20 for them and the chicks outgrew them in a week! They are helpful to have around, though!

Last edited:
I forgot to add-my husband found 4 beautiful duck eggs in the backyard yesterday! I thought they might start laying soon!! We were so excited.

Hadn't been long got home, it was great meeting Everyone! I'm sorry I wasn't very interactive, but I had a headache, and then got struck into a conversation with Colie who by the way is AWESOME! Thank you Nichole and Luke for coming out and bringing me my stuff you are the BEST!!!

I just filled my incubator up!

13 partridge silkies eggs that Colie trucked to the auction for me, 4 BBS silkies from Beth, 2 Silver lace polish eggs from Beth, 10 duck eggs I got for 4$ at the auction, and 5 paint silkie eggs I'm incubating for a friend who's incubator keeled on her last night.
yesss.gif
wee.gif
Dunno what kind of duck eggs, but we'll find out when and if any hatch right? LOL

Also brought home a old english bantam hen for Shawna's OEGB roo who was lonely... and a 3 partridge silkies 1 from Sandy of BatCave, and 2 from Luke. I think they are girls Luke - they have girly coloring and a bunch of penciling, so pretty sure both are girls.
wee.gif

I'll be back to the Wicked Chicken come spring time and when I have babies to sell! You guys missed all the chicks at the VERY end of the auction!!!! bunch of different chicks - few boxes of silkies, some Gold Laced Polish, Copper Marans, EE's, sex link, and something else can't remember what the other different batch was.
Haha! Just walk away from me I swear I run my mouth constantly lol just ask Luke! Sounds like you had a good day yesterday! You're daughter is beautiful btw she makes me laugh. Kept giving me this look and smiling made me wanna melt! Old soul with that one watch out :D

I forgot to add-my husband found 4 beautiful duck eggs in the backyard yesterday! I thought they might start laying soon!! We were so excited.

yesss.gif
So glad to hear that you have some laying going on there, I can't even get my hens to lay regularly some days I get 10 eggs, other days I get zilch!! At the rate you are going though, you might catch up to Bhep soon!!
gig.gif

jealous you got one of the piggies!! Sooo cute!! Was it one of the ones squealing its head off?? How big do potbelly pigs get?

Yes thats one of the 2 little ones that squealed like crazy, there was a boy and a girl that were siblings they had up for auction.

Too freaking cute, though I'd rather have a goat, especially was tempted to get that darn brown one, but - no no no just chickens and ducks. nothing else livestock wise. LOL

Oh and Nichole I had an awesome time, you didn't bug me not a bit, I am a diehard silkie person and love chit chatting about silkies more than other chickens. lol Also I need to stay standing and moving since I had a headache it helped to stay standing most of the time.

Last edited:
Anyone in the Sylva/Waynesville/Franklin general area know of a grain mill locally? Feed prices at the local store and TSC are driving me a bit nutty, and would like to save a little money...
I wish I knew of a local mill period! All the feed I'm seeing sucks compared to the price and quality I'm use to. I'm not sure about where you're at but you haven't by chance heard if anything out my way near Fayetteville?

Back
Top Bottom