North Dakota

I ordered my chicks for the end of April because I thought spring would be on its way but these below freezing temps at night are not very helpful. I still have a snowbank on my garden and I have just received my potatoes, strawberry plants, and apple tree, I hope they hold out for another month because this weather is not very spring like.

Several years back I had placed an order for the 18th of april. After a couple of dry warm winters I thought it would be safe. Wouldnt you know a spring storm moved in and on top of that the chicks arrived a day early. Normally Im at the postoffice at 6 am when Im expecting chicks. Took me an hour to drive 15 miles to the post office through the slush and the heavy snow that was still coming down hard , all the while thinking I might have screwed this one up. Really made my day to open that box at the PO and see 25 healthy rhode island red chicks.

Isn't that just the greatest feeling, seeing a box of happy peeping chicks, after getting zero sleep; worrying about the wonderful weather we have up here.

Everyone staying afloat after all this Rain? Though I was going to have to start walking around with a life jacket there for awhile.

Everyone staying afloat after all this Rain? Though I was going to have to start walking around with a life jacket there for awhile.
No kidding! I'm halfway between Minot & Williston, and my ducklings who are outside in their pen... 10 ducklings, 9 weeks and 8 weeks old, Jumbo Pekins & Rouens. Thought for sure they'd be swimming out of their pen! We're supposed to get more rain tomorrow & Tuesday.

Thankfully, it will have a chance to dry out before my utility shed that I'm converting into a chicken house arrives on Friday! I have 6 RIR (1 cockerel/5 pullets), 4 Black Australorps (pullets), and 4 White Jersey Giants (pullets), and a GLW cockerel, 9 weeks old, that are ready to move into it as soon as I get it converted (adding roosts, nesting boxes, and door for the chickens into their run, plus a corner nest for the ducks to winterize in). I also have 5 Dark Cornish pullets, 1 more White Jersey Giant pullet, 1 more Black Australorp pullet and an additional Black Australorp cockerel, 5 weeks old, that will be moving into the chicken house at the same time I'm moving the 9-week-olds in. I've also got Ameraucanas, French Black Copper Marans, Lavender Orpingtons, Double-Barred English Lemon Cuckoo Orpington eggs in the incubator, ready to hatch next Saturday, so they'll go into the brooder where the older chickens are located now. I've also got 5 GLW pullet chicks to arrive from the hatchery next month. I have 2 more Jumbo Pekins arriving at the end of the month, and 25 Rainbow Ranger chicks arriving at the end of the month, too, for meat chickens. AND I have 18 American Bronze turkey eggs ready to go in the incubator, as soon as this hatch is done.

You want any, when I get them old enough to start providing fertilized eggs? It will be likely fall by that time, since I will want to test my own fertility levels before providing them to anyone else. If so, let me know!

I would like a couple of the breeds you listed but I over did it this year......someone put another order in to get 12 light Sussex and 15 buff orpingtons on top of the 40ish I ordered in march/April area. I'm like an addict I guess lol. Black copper maran sand lavender orpingtons are definitely on my wish list once I trim down the flock a little.

I would like a couple of the breeds you listed but I over did it this year......someone put another order in to get 12 light Sussex and 15 buff orpingtons on top of the 40ish I ordered in march/April area. I'm like an addict I guess lol. Black copper maran sand lavender orpingtons are definitely on my wish list once I trim down the flock a little.
That chicken math and addiction gets us, every time, LOL! If you're still interested later on in the year, just PM me. I travel all over the state due to my contractor status for the federal government, so I can deliver, too... which will make it easier to improve the hatchability rate.

Everyone surviving and or preparing for the spooky looking storm sweeping the state?

About 8 minutes before it hit. So far only rain and wind but who knows lol.

Excuse chicken ghetto, it'll get better this fall when I get my barn built.

Back
Top Bottom