North Dakotans UNITE!

I am from MN but no group here from MN? i work in Moorhead-is that close enough:cool: to ND?

MNBlonde
no such thing as too many chickens

I would think that's close enough!

I'm in between Hillsboro, ND. and Halstad, MN. which is North of Fargo and south of Grand Forks.
I have 9 chickens and hope my cochin hen goes broody so she can hatch out a few chickies for me this spring.
That's the plan, anyway! If it pans out, since you (MN Blonde) think there is no such thing as too many chickens, I'll bring you any extra roosters! lol!

Hello North Dakota!
woot.gif

Just a reminder that there are still lots of towns and cities right here in North Dakota up for grabs in the BYC Chicken L.O.R.E. Project!

This is a massive undertaking, and everyone is encouraged to participate! Your knowledge of Chicken L.O.R.E. will earn you GFM Scratch, which are good towards new GFM Memberships, Membership extensions, or Membership gifts.

Remember - you don't have to select a city in North Dakota - cruise the selection list and choose any city still available!

Get started now! Click on the Chicken L.O.R.E. link above for all the details, and remember your Project Managers are here to help in any way we can.

Good Luck, and Thanx for Joining In!
clap.gif

I just registered today although I have been obsessively reading all of the boards for a couple of months. My family and I are in the process of moving to Deering, ND (outside of Minot) We have purchased a five acre "hobby farm." Although we are new to ND we are not new to rural living, we are from Wyoming. I was hoping some members from ND could give me some advice on which hatcheries to order from. I have done a lot of breed research and I was thinking of getting 6 Black Jersey Giants, 6 Speckled Sussex' and 6 Buff Orpingtons, all pullets. I picked them based on their cold hardiness and their tempermant. The farm already has a coop room attached to the barn, it is good sized and has 6 nesting boxes already mounted to the walls. We are planning on building a large run, the previous owners allowed their chickens to free range but lost two flocks to dogs and hawks. Any advice on local supply resources or weather precautions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi and welcome! I am in Norwich, ND which is about 12 miles from Deering
big_smile.png
There is a feed store in Minot called North Country Mercantile, if you hit them up in the spring you can order from them. There is also a place called eFowl, never ordered from them but they look promising, and a few hatcheries in MN. I have had all of the varieties that you have listed, all wonderful birds with terrific temperaments. I have never lost birds to hawks, and unless they actually saw it they may be blaming the wrong culprit. The major predators that I have seen in this area are raccoons, dogs, fox and coyotes. There are just too many rabbits and small rodents (like gophers, mice, voles, etc...) that the hawks prefer.

Feed sources: North Country Mercantile on Hiway 2 east side of Minot, TSC in town, and Home of Economy in town. North Country is a Purina dealer, and wonderful folks working there. They have a feed storage area that you can drive in to load up.

Anyhow, welcome to NoDak!!!

Thank you again for the welcome *Frosty* I don't know if the hawks really got his chickens or not. It was a second hand story from my realtor so who knows. I did see hawks but I also saw rabbits which I would think they would prefer over the chickens as well. I am going to check out all of the supply businesses you mentioned, it will keep me out of the mall and my boys love farm stores!

I actually thought of a question for you after I PM'd you. Do you hatch your own eggs? If so when have found is the best time to do so in such a cold climate? I won't even attempt it for quite a while but I was just wondering for future reference.

I don't hatch my own eggs simply because I end up with too many roosters. I have had hens go off on their own and hatch out a clutch, though. And half of the time they decide to come home with peeps in tow in November, so I end up with chickies in the basement for the winter
roll.png
but hatching anytime in the spring will work.

Quote:
That definitely makes sense about too many roos, I am worried about the ones that people say inevitably end up in your shipment from the hatchery no matter what you order. Do you think they would be ok if they are left out to free range with access to the barn but not to the coop and run that I have my hens in? Sorry to bother you with all of my newbie questions. I really appreciate you taking time to answer them though.
big_smile.png

Actually, while it does happen it's rare that I get a roo in a shipment. There shouldn't be a problem with letting one free range, unless you plan on having a garden. I actually like to have one or two because I enjoy hearing the crowing, but that is just me. Theoretically, you would think that hatching your own eggs you would end up with a 50/50 mix of roos and hens. In actual fact, you'll end up with more roos than hens. And my family tends to disappear when I go out to... decrease the rooster population. And don't worry about asking questions... I may not answer right away, but I am addicted to the birds. I got a friend addicted to them, too (what are friends for?
big_smile.png
)

Hello, North Dakotans, it is nice to see more of "us" on here. Welcome aboard! I live outside of Lidgerwood. In the SE part of the state.

I free range all of my chickens and guineas, we farm and I like seeing the birds all over the yard. (I have lost a few to something, they just disappeared)

Back
Top Bottom