North Ga newcomer

My pullets have been fed crumbles, now accompanied with scratch. What are your thoughts on adding pellets to their diet?

My pullets have been fed crumbles, now accompanied with scratch. What are your thoughts on adding pellets to their diet?

Mine also started out on crumbles and tried to transition them to pellets. The are quite spoiled, finicky hens and told me they preferred a crumbled type of layer feed, so have just stuck with that.. I mixed the two feeds in a transition and had to toss the pellets
idunno.gif

And mine never liked scratch, guess they get too many better other treats - like shredded greens, raisins, tomatoes,etc.

It doesn't matter whether the feed is crumbled or pellets - whichever you prefer - but make the transition slowly by mixing them together and increasing the pellet percentage until 100% new feed.

But remember scratch is a treat and not food.

Thanks. I didn't realize scratch was a treat, not food. I have crumbles and scratch available to my hens continuously. Is that too much scratch?

Thanks. I didn't realize scratch was a treat, not food. I have crumbles and scratch available to my hens continuously. Is that too much scratch?

Scratch is corn = sugar. Take it out and offer it only as a treat.

It doesn't matter whether the real feed is crumbles or pellets - whichever works best for you.

Back
Top Bottom