northern british columbia canada

rubylinn

Hatching
Nov 17, 2015
hi everyone ..i have 13 chickens now and one mean rooster..' lol ..my husband wants to eat him because he won,t shut up when we are out in the barn yard ..any suggestions on how to shut him up?

I would think he is stating a claim on his girls - if he is "mean" to you (i guess you mean he tries to attack you) then it means he sees you as subordinates and him as the king of the castle.

CT

northern bc..Yes and yes he does think hes the boss he stands in front of his girls and tries to keep them together ..even when i bring a treat he tries to fly at me ..im not afraid but it does startle me lol..how do i make friends with him .I like having him around ...

It has been my observation that most roosters are not interested in being friends. The best you can do is command respect. It would startle me as well, but letting him see you fear him is not helping. My rooster started getting ornery and I wacked him across the yard with a pitch fork one day. It mellowed him out considerably.

A quick squirt with a water pistol or indoor pressurised plant sprayer does the trick. I used a plant sprayer with my last roo every now and again, just to remind him who was boss and it seemed to work (he could have just be a chilled out roo though).

CT

Back
Top Bottom