Northern Harrier-help pls!

DomiHentrix

Songster
11 Years
Sep 23, 2008
Thurston County, WA
There was a large bird perched on my fence yesterday watching my chickens, all my Barred Rocks where hiding but of course to silkie cochins weren't and it was about to swoop down when we walked out. It also didn't seem to be afriad of my husband and didn't want to leave. He gbot a bit close to it about 8ft away before it reluctantly flew off. I think that it was a Hen Harrier, I looked up different NorthAmerican "Hawks" and this is what is looked like

http://www.flickr.com/photos/galvestonbirds/399906209/

Any ideas here to prevent it's return or to scare it off?

Thanks in advance

I am assuming you mean the fence post of the run. The only way to protect them in the run is to cover the run with netting. I use deer netting that I bought at Lowe's. It was $10 for 7x100. Works great.

I had a HUGE red tailed hawk do a fly-by over my coop last week. I have net over my run but I threw ANOTHER layer over it and left it kind of wrinkly so he would be SURE to see it.
big_smile.png
I don't want him to do a dive and end up tangled in the net and us trying to get him loose! YIKE!

I mentioned in another thread if you criss cross rope or wire on your run closer than the wing span of the smallest raptor you have around, they won't go into run. It's easier than netting as long as you dont need to keep out predators at night.
My friend has done it for years and has never lost any to raptors.
It's cheap and easy to do.

Good luck

Nancy

Acutally at the time they were free ranging in my yard, no in their run. I haven't covered their run yet so that is another thing I have to do. However what will DETER a hawk?

Mirrors? Shiny things? Those fake plastic owls? Anyone with experience on this have any advice?

Thanks again!

I use the bird netting to cover my chicken yard. It works very well, but I should have bought the 1" squares. The sparrow birds eat alot of food. Here is a word of advice, though. After covering the yard, I tied streamers made from plastic tape to the netting. I made the streamers about 16" long, and tied them about 6 or 8 feet apart. I also use this orange tape to tie to my fence wire. It just lets an animal, be it hawk, owl, deer or cow know that something is there.

The fake owls will scare the chickens more than the hawk. I learned that one the hard way.
If you have a dog and you can trust him with the chickens leave him out with them, other than that I don't know of much that will stop them.

Quote:
I think some people hang old cd's or dvd's to scare them off as they are shiny like mirrors. I have no idea how well it works though.

if you can make sure the girls have plenty of places to "hide " out side of the run , that would be the best deterent, like anything they can get hide under is good . For instance , ine go under the trailers that are parked nearby , or they run into the run , which is covered , or they run into the bushes and hide , LOL , they are quite good at hiding , one hen was lost for a couple of hours and boy did i look everywhere , thought she was a goner and she apperaed at roosting time like nothing had happened.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom