Northern Interest in Heritage Breeds

bluenosechicken

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2016
Martock West Hants Co. Nova Scotia
Just moved back to somewhat sunny and cold Nova Scotia Canada. Over the winter I have been pecking around to start a new flock in my new retirement. So far met some very nice people and think I am on my way to building a nice flock.
However, there were a couple who try as they might wanted to set me straight on their great knowledge and the reason what certain breeds or breeders were no good. It is a shame when we are so caught up in ourselves that we forget why we are in this hobby to start with. New blood as with new stock and he entering of some old heritage breeds only helps to build a stronger gene pool and as with chickens and people will made this hobby stronger. I hope I meet more people who say hello, glad to see a new breeder here and great to see Jerseys or Barred Rocks back in the area. They have been missed. Bluenosechicken

Yes, and welcome back to the world of chickens. Only one warning for the northern latitudes and colder climate, keep in mind that the large combs and wattles are good candidates for frostbite.

Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you decided to join us. I agree that some people can be rather blinkered in their approach to keeping chickens (and many other things for that matter). I reckon that if we think we know everything, then we may as well curl up and die!
smile.png
If you try posting on your state thread you may find other BYC members in your area who may be able to help you out with your breeds.

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom