Northern NJ - expanding run questions (page 3)?

Mine have open access to their coop and run so they have "in and out" privileges all day. At dusk/sundown they put themselves to bed (roost) for the night. As long as your run is secure - leave 'em out!
wink.png

I don't know if it's just the angle of the picture, but it looks like your feeder/waterer may be under a roost. My birds love target practice with their poo and their waterer
sickbyc.gif
when roosting.

Quote:
Its funny that you mentioned that. The pic I showed was taken right after I moved them into the coop. So things weren't quite organized right. Although the waterer is covered, I noticed that the top of it was getting some poop on it so I moved it away from the nest boxes. I also put it up on a rock, which I don't know if it is in the picture.

Its definitely an experience thing, learning all this!! Thanks for everyone's input. If I find that I am having problems with pecking / cannibalism, I can always extend the run in a few different directions. I have alot of space to play with around the coop.

Quote:
That sounds pretty reasonable. You may well want more if you are going to stick with 25 chickens in the long-term, and to keep the coop cool in summertime, but of course you can always just wait and see how it goes.

I just wondered if they would be OK in the run all day, since noone will be home should a predator start to bother them.

Yes, that is the whole POINT of a run, to give them free access to it all day
wink.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat​

Looks good, maybe a doggy door would reduced your concern of pinched chickens

I couldn't tell for sure, did you skirt (lay wire flat on the ground) around the run. It will stop any digging type predator cold as they start their dig next to the wire, if it was plastic harnware cloth, it probably won't stand up to the attack

Quote:
Dug the metal hardware cloth in around the outside. Then under the actual coop itself I put the heavy plastic as an extra added deterrent. I'm keeping a close eye on the area to be sure nothing is making any attempts to get in.

So I've got the 8' x 8 x 8' run, and the 8' x 8' x 8' coop. I have 27 chickens right now, all of them still pretty young (around 1 and 1/2 months).

Do you think I should expand the amount of run space available to them? I have a ton of space, was thinking of adding 8' x 8'x 8' more. Would this make that much of a difference?

Ok, wait, I thought the total area was 16x16 (as per post 1) but in fact it's actually only 8x16? (ignore the height, which does not matter to the chickens to any meaningful degree).

8x16 = 128 sq ft, divided by 25 chickens = hair over 5 sq ft per chicken.

That is REALLY crowded, not only are you likely to have social problems, the sanitation and smell issues will be considerable.

Yes, by all means do expand the run, perhaps to three or four times its current size. Ideally you'd like to give them at LEAST 8-10 sq ft PER CHICKEN outdoors, plus the coop itself (which yours will be pretty crowded so I wouldn't skimp on run).

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I have an old doggie door med size so they can go in & out & the human door can remain closed. By all means if you have the ability to expand their run do so I have 23 birds in 300 sq ft no pecking problems other than the normal pecking order stuff. No missing feathers I had brought in 4 others in that didn't look as good they were in too small of a space now they look great their feathers growing in bright & shiny but all mine were small . they are now about 9-12 weeks the older birds are the one's I brought in from an npip certified person. They still went into quarentine for awhile to make sure there was no problems. I have learned alot since being on this site one thing also being there can never be enough ventilation for healthy birds. But you are definitely headed in right direction.
smile.png

My coop at the current moment is 17 x 8 feet INSIDE the coop and a 10' x 6' run. I was concerned about size for 12 chickens (though the roos, if any will be eaten). That is about 16 sq. ft. combined.

My basic thought was this: On freezing winter days or during bad snow I'd like to leave the coop door shut. How long could I house that many chickens inside a coop. I think my coop will suffice for the chickies.

You could always (if space is an issue) wait out another few weeks for them to fully feather and offer them for 5 or 6 dollars each on CL. People will probably snatch them up!

Back
Top Bottom